"I've yet to train with anyone but Jack," I managed to mumble, hoping pointlessly that he would not have heard.

"And why is that?" Now I dared to look up at him. Harris crossed his arms, his face impassive. I was thankful his expression didn't give anything away, I didn't want to know what he was thinking.

"Because I'm vulnerable," I explained through gritted teeth, my eyes falling away again as the answer felt bitter on my tongue. I hated the excuse whenever Jack had uttered it to me. "He didn't want me to get hurt. I can't heal as quick as normal wolves."

"And you think that's fair?"

No.

"I don't have a wolf, what good would I be against anyone else." I shrugged.

I was aware of the Alpha wolf stalking closer to me until we were only a foot apart. On instinct my body stiffened. He was too close to me, and I was sure this was another intimidation tactic on his part. I cursed myself for falling prey to it, for allowing myself to be so submissive in his presence.

This was what was expected of me, it was my place in a pack to submit to the Alpha wolf. But it felt abnormal, it made me feel weak. I was so used to constantly being presumed weak that my years of overcompensation were beginning to become an issue. It was natural for the pack wolves to be weaker than the Alpha. If I had any hope of being accepted into the pack , I would have to adjust. Alpha's very rarely suffered disobedient wolves. This wasn't Idaho, this wasn't Jack who allowed my confrontation.

"I thought you came here to train?" he demanded flatly.

"I did."

"So stop letting your insecurities get the better of you and train."

I was frowning at him, pursing my lips as I stepped away and positioned myself to go on the defence. The idea of fighting Harris and doing anything but enduring him seemed impossible.

"Are you ready?" He asked, voice suddenly soft and smooth. He was watching me intently, his eyes on my shoulders and hips, waiting for me to make the first move. A small, deadly smirk stretching across his lips when he realised that wouldn't happen.

He lunged for me, fist reaching for my ribs. I barely moved quick enough to escape the assault but somehow I did. Bouncing on my toes slightly I was already moving as he tried to hit me again. I knew my speed was strong suit but it wouldn't last for long. I had seen Alpha Harris sparring with Lorcan late at night from my bedroom window, I knew he could be just as quick. He was smart too, quickly adapting to whatever new techniques Lorcan threw his way.

Again he lunged for me, this time when I darted away his right hook was already there, slamming into my ribs so hard I knew he'd cracked one. I grunted at the impact, mortified by the whimper that followed. Harris stepped back, eyeing me warily, hands lowering.

He was hesitating. Already he thought I would quit, that I couldn't hold up against the same brutality other wolves could. I shifted slightly on my feet, exaggerating my wince from the pain.

While his guard was down, I darted forward. A surge of pride hit me as my fist made solid contact with his jaw, even as his own fist knocked my shoulder back, creating distance between us once again. We circled each other. Alpha Harris' smirk had curved into a full daring grin. He was enjoying this now.

And it was infuriating.

I tried to jab him in the ribs but he caught my wrist, fixing me in my spot as his elbow thrust into my diaphragm. A rush of air left my lungs. The impact was so hard it felt as if my lungs were spasming as I gasped to collect my breath. He released me and made an effort to push me away but I stood my ground, my hands clutched tight to his shoulders as I rammed my knee hard into his gut.