Two

"I was made to be wild, wicked and free, to carve our my own crazy destiny, to find a place in this world where I can the most authentic version of me." 

Christy Ann Martine

"Are you ready for this?" Jack grumbled to me as I stepped outside of my family cabin. It was the morning of the meetings and we had both missed our usual training because of it. Jack already looked done for the day as he loosened the tie around his neck. It was rare that he ever wore a suit, and it was obvious by how uncomfortable he looked in the thing. I wanted to laugh at how strange he looked, he suited his typical training shorts and t-shirts far more.

"Not even close." I speared him with a tired stare. I'd been up all night reading the files he'd provided with me so last minute, and now without my morning training I was feeling grouchy and sluggish. I couldn't imagine how he felt; his wolf must have been pacing up a storm. He was fidgeting with his tie and collar still as we began to walk towards the main house until, with a huff, I batted his hands away and began to untie it altogether. "Just take the damn thing off, you're still in a suit."

"You're walking weird." Jack commented.

"It's these stupid shoes." The smart pumps I was wearing crunched against the dried leaves, rubbing against the side of my feet with every step. They weren't even my shoes; Mom had nearly had my hide this morning as I stepped out of my room in my usual trainers. Apparently, they weren't appropriate for the meeting.

"Where the hell did you get them from? They Elaine's?"

"Her feet are a size smaller than mine; this is torture. The walk is so long," I whined, staring longingly into the distance where I could already see the main house. It wasn't even that far from where I lived but I was definitely going to have blisters before the end of the day.

"Maybe if you didn't live so damn far away, you wouldn't have this problem," Jack grunted, shooting my a pointed look. "I think you should move into the main house."

I rolled my eyes.

"I think I should move to Colorado."

Jack's jaw ticked and he stayed silent for just a beat too long.

"Agree to disagree. But I suppose I can't force you to stay here." His tone was off, clearly bothered by the sudden turn of the conversation. I didn't want to dwell too long on it, on this tense atmosphere, not with such a long day ahead of us. We'd confront whatever these issues were when we had to. It was still possible for my transferal to be rejected.

"Well you can, being my Alpha and all," I teased, attempting to lighten the mood, nudging him in the stomach with my elbow, "but you know I'd kick your ass if you did."

"Please," Jack shoved me away from him as we finally stepped up onto the porch. "As if you could land a single punch on me."

"How's that nose feeling?" I smirked.

"How did everyone settle in yesterday?" He ignored my taunt with a grin, suppressing his amusement poorly as he attempted to settle into his role of Alpha. Of course, the meeting, we had to act professional.

"Good, Nevada arrived late as usual but there weren't any problems. Colorado should have arrived this morning, but you'll have to ask Beta Maria or Beta Kyle about that. I never understand why they don't just arrive the day before like everyone else."

Jack shrugged, holding the door open for me, "They keep to themselves; it makes no difference to me if they want to arrive later and leave earlier as long as they're at the meeting on time. Besides, have you ever tried to sit in the same room as Alpha Harris all day? The male's so damn strong it always sets the Beta's on edge. It's probably a good thing he's here less."