Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

I opened my eyes to the sounds of morning. Birds sang outside my window; a fact that would usually annoy me, but nothing could ruin my mood. Strong arms wrapped around my body and a grin crossed my lips. When was the last time I was held by someone I was truly in love with? I flipped my mind to think through the last four hundred years. I grinned and knew the answer.

Never.

Most people would find this utterly sad, but I didn’t. I had found the one man I could share my secrets with, even if he didn’t believe me right now. It was a pretty big deal for your girlfriend to be a vampire, right? I closed my eyes and melted into his arms, my body completely content. I couldn’t believe the moment. Four hundred years of running and hiding and having to pick up everything I knew and I finally was where I was supposed to be. The only other matter left to deal with was Charles. My feelings were still mixed about him. Would I be able to ever forgive or would he always be on my hate list. I thought it over. If Charles hadn’t done to me what he had done I would never have met Xander. I would have died a little more than four hundred years ago and may have never felt true love. I would have a family though, and with Xander that may never be possible. The thought made everything else in my mind screech to a stop and I tensed. I thought over the word, never. Was it truly possible that within a couple months that the man lying next to me would be dead?

 His gripped tightened on me as if he knew what I was thinking and was saying he would never let me go. I was comforted by the thought, but that didn’t stop the tear drop from running down my face. Ever since I met Xander it felt as if I had cried more than I had in the past hundred years. I turned on my side to look at Xander and stared at his handsome face. His soft lips looked perfect on his sleeping face with his eyes neatly shut and the gentle rhythm of his breathing. A golden curl of hair fell into his face and I brushed it back, admiring his soft hair. His strong jar framed his face, the face of someone brave yet handsome. Xander was truly brave, he went through his daily life of knowing his sister struggled with the house and knowing his parents wouldn’t be there when he walked inside the place he called home. I realized at that moment that most of the soldiers I had met throughout the years had nothing on Xander.

“Hello pumpkin,” he mumbled, pulling me closer. I smiled and put a hand to his cheek.

“How did you know I was awake?” I questioned, as he opened his eyes to look at me. His green eyes were something else; they were a rare stone that would be dug up after millions of years waiting for the right person to pay enough attention to it.

“I felt your eyes,” he said and placed a tender kiss on my lips. I pulled back and smiled at him. My hand traced his jawbone and I stared into his eyes. I felt as if everything I knew was wrong when I looked into those eyes. They held a different type of power that pulled someone close and wouldn’t let go. And I didn’t want to be let go anytime soon.

“I love you,” I admitted and waited for his reaction and braced myself. We had only been together for a couple weeks and this wasn’t exactly what you say to someone you’ve only known for a month, but it felt right. After everything I’ve endured, this felt like the only thing I knew was right. He looked taken back and almost like he was scared. “You don’t have to say it back; I just wanted to get it off my chest. I love the fact that you asked me on a date only a couple days after we met. I love that you helped my paint the living room, I love that it depends on the day whether you like cherry or strawberry, and I love the fact that you came here last night just to apologize. I don’t care how long we have together as long as we spend it the best we can,” I rambled then shut my mouth when I looked to see him grinning. “What are you smiling about? This is a serious conversation,” I defended myself, jumping to conclusions.