Chapter Twenty-Eight: Selmont

Selmont, Massachusetts

“I don’t know what I did wrong,” I muttered to the man sitting next to me. He looked back at me, his eyes glazed. He had dark hair slicked back. He slammed the shot glass on the bar and raised his hand for two more.

“Men are jerks,” he muttered darkly, he looked up at the bartender and nodded his head in thanks as he pulled a shot glass towards himself and pushed the other to me. The only other noise in the small bar was a local band playing. There were only a handful of other patrons in the smoke filled bar. I had driven to the local bar instead of the nightclub so I wouldn’t risk running into anyone. If Xander decided to come looking for me the club would be on the top of the list.

“What’s your story?” I asked, turning to look at him. I offered a sympathetic smile as he smiled sadly at me.

“Getting over a breakup,” he offered simply, “You know the age old scandal of falling in love with your boss? That was me, the love sick office worker that had eyes only for the boss.” He shrugged sadly.

“I’m sorry that happened to you,” I offered. He nodded and played with the glass in his hands. “She must not know what she’s missing.” I said as I patted him on the back.

“You don’t know me,” he grumbled. “Two beers,” he said to the bartender.

I laughed, “Sure I do. You’re only twenty three years old. It was your first real job out of college, in marketing to be precise. Your favorite color is dark forest green and you hate any type of gummy candy, including gummy bears,” I said facing him and staring him in the eyes.

“How did you know all that?” He asked astonished. He looked away to grab his beer and finished the whole mug in one gulp.

“I can read people,” I muttered glumly and turned back to face the counter as I spun on the bar stool. I grabbed the beer mug and took small sips from it. “I’ve never been one for alcohol, but this is the only exception.”

“Paramore,” he muttered. I looked at him oddly.

“As in the band?” I questioned. He nodded and looked down glumly at the bar counter.

“I don’t know what you’re getting at,” I said, confused.

“They have a song titled, ‘The Only Exception,’ it’s about not believing in love because it always ends in pain and that it doesn’t exist. Then you meet that special person that, well, you know, the only exception,” he explained.

“Aren’t you a little too old to be listening to that type of music?” I teased, allowing a small smile to form on my lips.

“You never can be too old for Paramore,” he laughed defensively. I shook my head laughing with him.“How the Hell did you get all that from just from listening to me compliment my alcohol?” I questioned.

“My alcohol, I’m the one that ordered it,” he corrected. I widened my eyes and my cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize what I was doing,” I apologized.

“Everyone needs someone to be there with them. If I had to bribe you with alcohol, it doesn’t really matter to me,” he chuckled.

“No need to bribe me, listening is enough of a bribe,” I said, “I will pay for half of the drinks though, just to be fair.”

“He’s a man,” he said suddenly. I looked at him, once again confused.

“I don’t know if it’s the alcohol or what, but you are confusing me more than I’ve been confused in the past month,” I chuckled.