Chapter Seven- London, England: 1581

London

            England, 1581

            I lived in the alleys of London the days after my mortal death. The sun weakened me to almost immobility so I stayed among the shadows. Probably something to do with being a new vampire, I thought every time I tried to venture out of the shadows. Everyday as I sat between piles of garbage I prayed I wouldn’t be stuck to the shadows for the rest of my life

            I felt trapped; the smell of human waste sharp and pungent in my nostrils. It didn’t matter with my vampire-heightened senses either. Garbage lined the walls and the homeless cowered deep among the shadows. Sometimes I had mistaken them for piles of trash too.

            Though, it wasn’t long before a dark cloudy day came to London. Usually I hated these types of day, but I was mortal then too. Until that day I hadn’t been able to appreciate the cloudy day.

            I pulled the cloak’s hood over my head. I didn’t want to risk anyone seeing me. I walked down the bustling streets, shoving past people that got too close.

            I could hear everyone’s blood pulsing through their bodies. I tried to block out the noise; it definitely wasn’t helping the cravings. After all it had been five days since I had drank from the surgeon.

            I blocked out the sound as best as I could. I started seeing familiar taverns and shops before long; I knew I should have turned back, but I didn’t.

            I saw a head of fiery red hair and couldn’t resist calling out, “Rosaline, wait!”

            The young woman stopped abruptly at the sound of my voice. She turned around quickly and threw her arms around me.

            “I knew it wasn’t true,” she cried, tears filling her light blue eyes.

            “May I question, what isn’t true?” I asked hesitantly, my joy dropping away from my voice. I watched as the English country girl’s faced turned to look confused.

            “They said you were dead,” Rosa whispered harshly. She examined my face then threw her hands to her face, “ Oh, tell me it isn’t true! Wait of course you’re not dead; no you can’t be dead. You’re standing right before me,” the pale red head reassured herself.

            “ Rosaline, I’m afraid it may be true,” I whispered softly. I released my arms from around her and took a step back.

            “ No, you’re standing right here!” she shouted. I looked quickly around to see if anyone was staring. Fights on the streets of London weren’t unusual, but I wanted to make sure.

            “ I do believe I am a vampire,” I told the red head softly.

            “ A v-vampire,” she sputtered. I watched as she visibly paled. The blood pounded through her petite body.

            I nodded weakly, watching her next reaction. I wasn’t surprised when she fainted into my arms, but I was surprised at how heavy the frail girl was.

I dragged her down the street. I could only imagine what a sight we must have looked. Thank God, we are close to my parents’ house, I thought to myself. Rosaline started working for my parents when I fourteen as a maid; she was the same age as me

            I walked past the same tavern, The Lamb; I had walked by only five days before. It seems like years ago, I thought darkly to myself.

            My shoes clicked against the cobblestone street that the townhouses lined. I soon saw the familiar house that I had been raised in. I dragged Rosa down the cobblestone path to the townhouse. I was going to knock, but I decided against it. I didn’t want to risk further problems, so I left her lying neatly in front of the door.