Chapter Eight- Selmont, Massachusetts: 2011

Selmont,

Massachusetts, 2011

It was five in the morning on Monday. Yes, I was awake at five in the morning. I hadn’t been able to sleep the night before, I’m not sure why though. It had been two days since I had last drank blood and the longer you went without drinking blood the more tired you get.

I already knew the rest of the day was going to be boring. You can’t be a vampire without some boring days. In the evening though I had plans with Xander. The night before Xander and I had agreed to paint the room sometime soon.

The night before Xander had stayed a while so we could get to know each other better. I had learned that he was seventeen and a senior in high school. As of yet he didn’t know anything about my life besides the fact that I was from England.

I groaned, rolling out of bed and walked to my desk. I looked at the oak wood desk, its top organized neatly. I sat down and looked at the black leather journal. The front dated 1586 in large black ink letters. That was the year I saw Charles the first time after my mortal death.

I shook my head to try to get rid of the memory, but at the same time wanting to remember. After all that was why I kept a journal.

I groaned and muttered, “ Wow, this is going to be a long day.”

-------------------

“Nine o’clock,” I sang as I walked down the path to town. Maybe I could find something to occupy myself while Xander was in school. I thought about it for a minute, Xander was probably in his second class right now. Wait, I thought, am I going to spend all my time with a seventeen year old? No way, I need other friends my age. Okay maybe not my age but someone in their twenties to hang out with.

I looked around and realized I was already in the town square. Since it was Monday the square looked liked a ghost town. It would be completed if there were tumbleweed being blown by the wind.

I decided that first thing I would do was go check out one of the clothing stores. I stopped in front of a door that dubbed it, ‘A Day In Fashion”. Well, I thought to myself, it’s better than the other store called, “ Southern Bells Clothing”. Why would there even be a southern theme shop in one of the most northern states in the country?

I walked into the store and a wave of cinnamon hit me. I wasn’t even using my heightened sense. Did they pour two cans of Ferbreeze onto the carpet?

My eyes scanned the clothing racks. Two racks held a variety of jean sizes. The other racks held racks that seemed to be organized by color.

I stepped in front of a rack that held different styles of red shirts. I reached for a crimson shirtsleeve button up, but then took my hand back. It was Massachusetts and I didn’t want to buy a lot of jackets. Instead I picked up a candy apple red long sleeved v-neck.

After that, I just picked up different colors of the same style not caring about the prices. You don’t live four hundred and thirty years without earning a good amount of money.

I paced to the front of the store where the cash register stood. I piled the stack of clothing onto the counter. I was actually surprised it didn’t topple onto me.

“Wow, I didn’t even know anyone had this type of money to spend except maybe the mayor’s daughter,” the young cashier commented with a small laugh.

I looked up at her from where I was examining the counter. The chips in the plastic were actually interesting to look at. The girl was about twenty, maybe nineteen standing on the other side of the counter. Blonde straight hair flowed down to her shoulders and she wore rather large black-rimmed glasses.

I laughed a little at the comment, “Well my parents left me quite the amount after they died.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she said apologetically.

“It’s okay, it was a long time ago,” I told her truthfully.

“Well you can swipe your card if that will be all,” she stated awkwardly, putting the last of the clothes into a large blue plastic bag. I nodded and took my credit card from my wallet.

“Thank you,” I paused to look at her nametag, “ Kaitlyn, I hope you have a good day.” She blushed and smiled at me. I smiled back and grabbed the plastic bag. I walked out through the glass doors.

I looked at my watch and read the time out loud, “Ten o’clock.”

Did I seriously spend an hour in that store? How much longer until Xander got out of school? Maybe four hours?

I examined the town square. Some adults were drinking coffee at a wooden bench next to the café. I sat down on a bench and put the plastic bag under the table. 

Why was I so bored? For Pete’s sake in the movies vampires are so adventurous. They don’t ever tell you about how boring it is to live forever. Edward never told Bella about the boredom of eternity, maybe then she wouldn’t want to be a vampire. I could be exploring the country. Wait, already did that.

If I had friends out of school I wouldn’t be like this. I dropped my head onto my hands. Yet another downside to eternity, no close relationships. If you had close friends sometime you will have to tell them the truth or leave them before they notice you don’t age.