Chapter Six- Selmont, Massachusetts: 2011

Selmont,

Massachusetts, 2011

A curl of blonde hair fell into his eyes. He smiled at me but then frowned thoughtfully.

“I know you,” He said in realization.

“ Um, no I don’t think so,” I tried to walk past him, but he stopped me.

“ No, I know you,” he interrupted, “ You were at the club last night,” he insisted.

Oh no, please don’t remember anymore. He was drunk, right? Maybe he just remembers seeing me. Yeah that’s got to be it, I assured myself.

“ Yeah, you’re the one that walked out on me. Though I can’t really blame you,” he chuckled.

Okay, I’m screwed. Does he remember me almost biting him? Wait, he was drunk, how does he remember?

“ Sometimes girls will fall for my trick,” he said, interrupting my thoughts.

“ What trick?” I questioned, truly curious.

“ Well, you see, I can act like I’m totally wasted, for some reason girls like going for the drunk guys. Probably so they can get away with an one night stand and not worry about embarrassment,” he explained to me.

How could I have fallen for his trick? I’m a vampire for crying out loud; I suppose to be able to sense this type of stuff.

“ Hey, I’m really sorry. That made me sound like a jerk. Also I’m sorry for running into you, maybe I can repay you by taking you to lunch,” he said truly apologetic.

“ No, thanks. I really have to get home,” I said walking quickly away. Please don’t come after me.

I stepped into a checkout line and looked behind me. It doesn’t look like he followed me. The woman in front of me took her grocery bags and left.

The cashier scanned all my groceries and told me the amount I owed. I handed her the green plastic card and grabbed the three plastic brown bags. I walked out quickly and through the clearing.

The dark woods soon surrounded me on both sides of the road. I listened to the songs the birds and other wildlife made. I smiled as I listened, in London these noises weren’t ever heard.

Soon I saw my Victorian house. I stepped onto the front porch and grabbed my keys from my pocket. I unlocked the front door.

I went into the kitchen and turned on the dim lights. Cupboards lined the walls, over the sink and stove. I opened one of the cupboards to reveal a dust coated inside. Seriously couldn’t the previous owner have cleaned a little before they sold the house? I turned away from the cabinet and went to one I knew was clean.

I had some food stored in it. Mostly food I had picked up while I was driving to Selmont. Wow, thank God my body processes food twice as fast as the normal mortal.

I put away the other food boxes and closed the small wooden door. I leaned against the granite counter and dropped my shoulders. One of the worst things about immortality is it gives you a lot of time to be bored.

I heard a loud knock at the front door and frowned.  Oh, wonderful a visitor, I thought sarcastically. Wait, who could that be? I hardly know anyone in Selmont.

I walked to the front door. I tried to look through the small window on the top of the door, but all I saw was blonde hair. With a groan I opened the wooden door.

“Did you follow me?” I questioned the young man that stood on the other side of the door.

“What? No, of course not! I would have to be a complete weirdo,” he tried to sound shocked, but ended up laughing.

“Okay, then you did follow me,” I stepped away from the door to see what he would do. If he were a vampire hunter he wouldn’t be able to step through the wooden barrier without a word of inviting.

When he stepped straight into the house, I nodded my head in satisfaction. He turned to look at me and smiled

“So I’ve been right next to you three times and have yet to learn your name,” the teenage boy held his hand out to me,

“My name is Isabelle,” I said, smiling politely as I shook his hand, “ I would ask for yours, but I already know.”

He held my hand a moment longer than he should have, but then dropped it. Xander turned away from me and examine the paintings hanging on the tomato red wall.

“If I may ask, did you paint those?” he questioned, gesturing to the rose pictures on the wall. 

“Actually, yes I did,” I answered, watching to see his reaction. He looked shocked, but then nodded his head in approval, “ I’ve had quite a long time to build up my painting skills. Now, can I ask what you are doing here?”

“Well, since you said you had to get home, I decided to follow you,” Xander explained.

“What would you do if I didn’t want to be around you?” I asked, half joking and half serious.

He looked taken aback, but then replied, “Wouldn’t want to be around me. I mean have you looked at me?” Xander asked striking pose.

“Wow, conceited much?” I chuckled, “ Well, why don’t we go sit down?” I asked awkwardly. The blonde nodded and I led him into the living room. We both sat down on the black leather couch.

“ So how long have you lived in Selmont?” he asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

“Three months,” I replied easily, staring at the plain white wall.

“And last night was your first time to the club?” Xander laughed, a blonde curl fell in front of his eye, but he didn’t seem to care.

“Well, I had to unpack and paint some of the rooms,” I defended, “ I still haven’t even had the time to paint this room.” I gestured to the white walls.

“What color are you planning on painting this room?” he asked curiously.

“I was thinking a dark blue,” I answered looking at him.

“Well maybe I could help you sometime,” the teenager offered.

“Thanks, that would be really nice of you,” I said sincerely, I looked him in the eyes and smiled genuinely.

“Well of course, after all I am Prince Charming,” he smirked.

“Wow, nice way to kill the mood,” I commented, laughing.