Twenty Four- Selmont, Massachusetts: 2011

Selmont, Massachusetts

2011

                Xander sat at the dining room table that opened out to the front hallway. He wore a long sleeved button up and black slacks. His hair was slicked back, he was absolutely breath taking.

                He stood up as he saw me and smiled. A cherry blush found its way onto my cheeks as I stopped to wait for Kaitlyn to come in. She stood in front me, “I present to you the new Kaitlyn,” I introduced; I looked at her and gave her the signal to spin. She blushed, but did so.

                I looked back at Xander. He gave me another one of his heart stopping smiles and mouthed “thank you.” I nodded and smiled.

                “So Kaitlyn, you never told us who your date was,” Xander commented. I nodded, realizing it was true. I stepped to his side and he wrapped an arm around my side. Tingles went throughout my torso and I fought to keep my gaze on Kaitlyn.

                Her mouth formed a surprised ‘O’ and she looked at us both, “I guess in all the excitement I forgot to tell you who he was,” she muttered.

                “So who is he?” demanded Xander. I found myself smiling at the protective side coming from him even though Kaitlyn was six years his senior.

                “Um, he’s a history colleague,” she answered slowly. She looked down at her feet. I frowned as I stared at her. Something wasn’t right about this.

                “Oh, so he goes to college with you?” Xander asked, confused. He looked down at me, wondering if she had told me about her date. I looked back at him and shook my head. My eyes went straight back to Kaitlyn.

                “Not exactly,” she answered, twindling her fingers like a little kid. She still stared at the ground as I wondered what was so interesting about the hardwood. A doorbell broke my thoughts. Kaitlyn looked up surprised. She practically ran to the door in either excitement for him or wanting to get away from her brother and I. I was surprised she didn’t slip as she sped to the wooden door.

                I heard the door open form the other side of the wall. Roses filled the air. Please let it be some bouquet that the kid bought her, I begged silently.

                Xander took a step forward to look around the corner, his arm loosening on my waist. A deep scowl came over his face as he took in the sight. I took a step forward even though I already knew who it was. Why is it whenever I want something to turn out well it ends screwed up? I asked myself.

                I pasted on the best smile I could muster, “Hello, Charles,” I greeted politely. I felt Xander tighten his arm around me as we stepped into the hallway.

                “Well hello Isabelle,” he greeted, smiling. Then he looked at the blonde at my side, “Xander,” I could hear the obvious distaste in his voice as he said the teenager’s name.

                “Of course it had to be him,” Xander whispered in my ear, his minty breath went down the side of my face. I jabbed him lightly in the side with my elbow to tell him to shut up. I wouldn’t let Kaitlyn’s first date in a long time be ruined.

                Especially not because of Xander’s jealousy and hopefully Charles wouldn’t mess it up either.

                “Well shouldn’t we get going, Kaitlyn?” Charles asked, taking her hand. Her cheeks went scarlet red as she looked up at him.

                “Where are you two going?” I asked. I looked straight at Charles hoping he would be the one to answer and of course he wasn’t.

                “It’s some cute little restaurant on the outskirts of town. It’s one of those types that is really fancy, but doesn’t get a lot of business,” Kaitlyn answered for him. I raised my eyebrow at the excitement in her voice. I looked at Charles, but he just grinned. He led her down the hallway to the front door. When Xander heard the door close he wrapped both his arms around me.

                “I felt like I was married and our daughter was going on her first date. I have a feeling that wasn’t supposed to be like that,” I muttered.

                “Well my beautiful wife there is no one around. Just the two of us in alone in this house,” Xander commented suggestively, looking down at my lips.

                “So true,” I said, standing on my toes, giving him a kiss on the cheek. He smiled and leaned down to give me a kiss, but I turned my head so his lips landed on my cheek.

                “Why do you always do that?” he asked. His eyes showed hurt and I winced. That was definitely not what I wanted him to think.

                “Keep temptation away,” I answered, looking at him as he smiled, “Trust me I would love to stay here and just kiss you, but we have to follow your sister to make sure she stays safe.”

                I unwrapped his arms from around my waist and turned around to walk to the door. I heard his footsteps reluctantly following and I pause before opening the door. I grabbed the keys from my pocket and a blue mustang chirped from across the street. It had been one of my dream cars ever since I came back to America two years ago. Unfortunately to get the mustang I had had to sell my Volkswagen.

                “Okay, I know you bought the car,” Xander said, as he caught up to me, “So I wouldn’t be humiliated to get out of my girlfriend’s car like I would be if you still had that piece of-“ Xander continued, as we walked across the street, gesturing to the mustang.

                “Happiness,” I interrupted, “I know what you’re going to say and the answer is no you cannot drive Celeste.”

                “Celeste?” he asked, raising an eyebrow as he opened my door. I smiled and was tempted to curtsy. The days of my youth were still with me and didn’t seem to want to leave me.

                “Of course, sounds magical doesn’t it?” I asked, curiously. I started the car. Two tickets to mayhem, please.