Chapter 8

It's been weeks since the incident. He still hasn't returned.  You tried to occupy your thoughts, but you worried about what happened to him. He stood up for you and he ended up paying the price. Since that day, you have been treated slightly better. You got better food and the guards were much more careful around you. You assumed it was because people feared the Winter soldiers anger. But in reality, it was actually because the doctor wanted you to be in good condition.

     The doctor seemed to be in a much better mood today. Day after day they kept failing to make you enhanced. But today, he said he might have found a break through. He seemed pretty confident that this was the right combination of chemicals. Surprisingly, you were excited about it. Maybe you finally had a purpose instead of just doing nothing. You were tired of being a lab rat. You could become some sort of freak. You shuddered at the thought. You excitement turned into fear. What are they going to turn you into? What if they take away my memories too?

     The doctor and his team lead you away from the lab and take you towards the stairs. "Why are we not in the lab?" You ask. "You'll see" the doctor said with a smirk. Once you climb up the stairs they lead you to a room with a big metal door. The room itself was very damp and muggy. It felt like you were in a swamp. Inside the room was a large empty tank with wires and tubes coming out left and right. "Umm am I going in there ?" your voice cracked. The doctor just simply nods.

    His team then guides you into the tank and starts to hook you up to the machine. Everyone in the room then puts on big suits and gloves that made then look like astronauts. After all the needles you have been poked with, you still hated the feeling. You hissed when they put the IV into your arm. Tears were threatening to spill and your face starting to loose its color. But you wanted to keep a brave face and have some dignity left. They then injected you with another chemical, this time it didn't hurt. You closed your eyes and let them strap you in and the tank closes shut. You breath began to fog up the glass. It was too small in here. You felt like you couldn't breathe anymore. "Please let me out! Please!" You cried. You could barely see from outside of the tank. Of course you knew they wouldn't let you out.

     Looking around for something, your eyes land to the grate below your feet. You then hear the sound of water. Horror then fills your mind when you realize what's about to happen. You quickly try to move, but you can't because of the restraints. Then you see the water begin to rise past your ankles. No, this can't be happening. The water was surprisingly warm, almost comforting. It was rising to fast and you know it won't be long. This is it, this is how it ends. The water is now rising up to your chest. You take in deep breaths, trying to get as much oxygen as possible. The Solider can't save you now. You decide to take in one last deep breath. The water is now going past your mouth. 

       You wished he was here. You then hear the sound of a machine being turned on. Suddenly the water around you turns into a dark purple. Beautiful, you thought. The water is above your head. All you can see is the beautiful color surrounding your body. It feels like electric waves are shooting through your body.  Your skin begins to burn, must be the chemicals. You can't hold your breath anymore. Your lungs give out and expand. You open your mouth and let out the last bubbles of your air supply. You watch them float to the top of the tank. Water then fills up your lungs and everything seems to fade.

     Your lifeless body is taken out of the tank and placed on a table. The medical team begins to perform CPR. They begin to bang on your chest to try and get the water out. Eventually you start to choke and spew water all over the floor. Your throat started to become sore from all the coughing. You take in deep breathes to try and get back to normal. "You tried to drown me! Seriously? I could have died" you said angrily. "But you didn't" The doctor said. You frowned and he just chuckled and began to look down at his clip board. "Now we wait" he said.

    It was uncomfortable and nerve wracking. Just sitting there in a room full of people, just staring at you. They were all whispering to one another, obviously about you. Your skin began to burn again. You tried to rub yourself to relieve some of the burning but it didn't work. You began to breathe rapidly "M-my skin, it's burning" you say. The doctor begins to come forward to examine you. You panic and say "No don't touch me!" You then felt something change within you. You look over to the doctor and see the he looks shocked. "Where did she go?" He yelled. He reached out to touch you, but you got up from the table and moved away. He still reached out, its as if he didn't see you. You come to the realization that your invisible! They can't see you! This is good, very good.

"It worked" he said. "Y/n I know your here" he said with a sickly sweet voice. He then proceeds to walk around the room, pacing back and forth. "Come out come out" he said with a condescending voice.  Maybe this was your chance. You can escape! You begin to quickly walk past all of the people in the room. You try to not make a sound. "Find her" the doctor commands.

      The medical team then starts to roam around the room trying to feel where you are. The door! you thought. You start to quickly head towards the door. But you were too late. Two guards are blocking it. You needed to do a weapon fast, you didn't know how long this invisibility would last. You carefully head towards the medical table and find a scalpel. Sure it was tiny, but that's all you could find at the moment. As you picked it up the object became invisible. This was good, that means it won't look like it's floating. You knew you couldn't just stab the guard, he could easily overpower you. Hmmm maybe if you threw it away from you, they would think you are over there. Perfect! You then threw the scalpel over to the corner of the room. It landed with a loud clank. Just as you predicted, everyone started heading in that direction. You turn around to make a run for it. But as you turned around you bump into the guards chest.

"Got you" the guard happily says.

Fuckkkkk.

     He then grabs you by the shoulders making you shake. You then become visible again. You try to squirm out of his grip, but the reality is that you can't.  The guard then places you on the table and the medical team straps you in again. The doctor then comes up and grabs your face and looks into your eyes "Nice try little one" the doctor said with a smirk. You then lower your head in defeat. You had a shot and you blew it.