Chapter 4

You wake up to only be in your freezing cold cell and still in your hospital gown. You look down at your arm and see a small bandage of where they injected you. The side of your arm looks gross. The veins in your arm are swollen and are purple. Not only does it look bad, it hurts too. You don't really wanna look at it anymore. You weakly look around the room and see a tray of food and water. Well at least they are trying to keep you alive. How kind of them. Your stomach then grumbles and you realize you haven't eaten in a while. How long have you been here like this ? Deciding it doesn't matter anymore, you begin to eat your food.

The meal itself wasn't very impressive. It was just some sort of meatloaf and a piece of bread. It honestly looks disgusting, but then again this is a prison. As your finishing your meatloaf you hear loud footsteps close to your cell. You then see the solider being thrown into his cell. He landed with a loud thud. He then scrambled away from the door and goes to the corner of the room. The guards leave soon after that. The soldier looks pretty rough. His hair is mangled and has cuts and bruises on his face. Still looks gorgeous none the less. You needed to talk to him. You wanted answers, But how? Looking around your eyes look down at your tray. You realize you didn't eat your bread yet. The bread! That's it! Maybe an act of kindness can get him to talk.

You pick up the bread careful not to use your bad arm and scoot closer to the bars that separated you. "Hey are you hungry?" you hold out the bread. He gives you a shocked expression. He slowly walks over to you and then sits down. He looks you up and down and says "No, you eat". You have come to the conclusion that he's a man of few words. "Please just take the bread, it's ok" You said. He looks into your eyes and you nod your head. Then he carefully takes the bread from your hand. As soon as the bread leaves your hands he then shoves the bread into his mouth and eats it with one gulp. He closes his eyes and moans in pleasure. He then begins to blush realizing that your still there. It was a sight to see none the less. "Thank you" he said quickly. "When was the last time you ate?" You ask. "I-I don't remember" he replied. "Oh" you said. Really that's the best response you could give ? You mentally slapped yourself for not saying anything else. He just grunts in response. A sharp pain shoots through your arm. You start to whimper and clutch the wound. His eyes shift to your arm and he frowns "Your hurt" he says with a concerned voice. "They injected me with something" you said. He looks down and puts his hands through his mangled hair. He seems to be having some sort of internal battle. "I'm so sorry" he said. You couldn't stand it any longer, you had to talk about the elephant in the room. "Why did you take me here ?....You could have easily killed me or looked the other way!" you said. He simply shook his head and muttered something under his breath. He got up and went to the other side of the cell. "Wait please!" You said. Then he turned around so that his back was facing you. Well that was that. Worth a shot. Awkward silence filled the room. You weren't trying to be rude. But given the whole situation, you had a right to ask questions. But maybe it was too soon to bring that up. The pain in your arm starts to flare up again and you become really sleepy. You decide to rest your eyes and fall into a dreamless sleep.

Winter Soldier's POV

Yes, I could have easily killed her. I have killed others in the past, why should a stupid girl be any different? Everyone I killed deserved it... or at least that's what hydra tells me. Orders are orders. Kill who you have to kill and complete the mission. It's been a routine for I don't know how long. Follow orders and you won't be punished. Get in and get out and do not be seen at all costs. I have never made that mistake, not until her.

I knew I was ruined from when I saw her at the bar. Her smile gave me something I haven't felt in a long time. But I had a mission I couldn't let her get in the way. But then she made things complicated. I knew she saw me with that man. I could hear her rapid breathing. I knew I couldn't just kill her, something inside me knew she didn't deserve it.

I look over to the girls sleeping form. She is an innocent and she doesn't belong here. She is probably scared out of her mind. But at least she is alive. But now she is suffering, all because of me. Why am I so stupid? Why do I care so much about her? Oh well, It is what it is. What's done is done. It was a judgment call. I'm sure hydra is grateful to have another lab rat. But I still can't help but feel guilt. My mind is all scrambled up. I can't even think straight! Why? WHY?! I'm trying to focus on my breathing now. I can't wake her up, the poor thing needs some rest. I have come to the conclusion that I'm done for, and it's all because of her.