forty

Lip's reverie is broken by the faint creak of the hinges on one of the yard gates. 

He looks in the direction of the noise and sees April close the gate and begins her way along the garden path. 

She looks like a summer breeze, with her blonde hair blowing around her face, and her summer skirt billowing around her legs. She is carrying the ribbon-bound notebooks and moves slowly along the cobbled path. 

This time it is Lip that is unprepared, and he barely manages "hello" when she reaches the deck. 

He has stood up, but not moved.

"Hi," April replies as she takes the two steps up to the deck, and stands in front of Lip. 

He finds himself just looking at her, not wanting to break the spell. 

"Can we sit?" she asks nodding to the chairs and couches surrounding them.

"Of course," Lip shakes himself back to reality.

"This is a gorgeous place, isn't it?" April begins as she pours herself some water from the decanter on the oversized coffee table. "No one answered the front door, so I figured I'd find someone back here. It's everyone's favorite place this time of day."

"You've been here before?" Lip inquires, still trying to get his mental bearings.

"Yes. Robert's parents are very generous with their hospitality. I've been here a couple of times." April replies, successfully hiding her nerves as she takes a sip of water.

"Well, everyone else went over to the island for the weekend. I asked to stay to enjoy it by myself before I head back to Chicago on Sunday." Lip offers.

April doesn't acknowledge Lip's mention of returning home but instead picks up the stack of notebooks she had placed beside her and offers them to him. 

"I wanted to be sure and return these to you before you left."

Lip looks at the notebooks in her hands but doesn't move to take them from her. 

"Did you read them?" He asks while looking purposefully into her eyes.

"I did," April replies realizing that Lip's blue eyes are looking into her soul again, searching for answers. 

His eyes always disarm her, so she turns away quickly. 

She looks down at the stack, and says quietly "They were beautiful."

Lip takes the notebooks and places them on the coffee table. 

"I meant every word." He says, trying to catch her gaze again.

"I know you did, and I want to thank you. They helped me a lot." She offers while returning his glance.

"Helped how?" Lip is curious, hoping he was able to make things right between them.

"I had been incredibly angry - angry for a long time about what happened. Even when I saw you in Cambridge, the hurt and anger came back. But after reading what you wrote, I'm not angry now."

Lip is encouraged. "I never wanted to hurt you."

April doesn't reply but takes another sip of water. 

She is uncomfortable. 

She stands. 

"Well, as I said, I wanted to return these to you, and thank you." 

She takes half a step toward the path.

"Wait, you're leaving?!" Lip also stands, surprised.

"Yes." April quietly replies.