twenty-eight

When Lip returns to campus, he is even more motivated.

Being home lit a fire under him to build the life that is within his grasp. He knows that May graduation is still seven months away, and he realizes better than most that things can happen, but Lip has decided to look toward his future.

Robert comments on how upbeat Lip is the next day at lab. He's even more receptive later in the week when Robert suggests an outing to a party Friday night.

"Alright, I give. I'll go with you. I could use the mental break," Lip concedes.

"Damn right you could. You are getting a little boring Lip Gallagher," Robert chuckles.

"Me? Boring? Never," Lip cheerfully replies.

They head to the party on Friday, and it is rocking. The alcohol is free-flowing and once in a while, Lip notices that familiar pot smell on someone as they walk past.

Students like to cut loose, and this crowd is making the most of it. Lip goes to find a non-alcoholic drink, so he'll be holding a red cup like everyone else.

It doesn't take long before Robert has introduced Lip to some very nice looking young ladies. Lip takes the time to make small talk with several of them.

He finds he is never standing alone for long, before another young coed makes her way over to him. It's nice to interact with them, but each time he tries to have a semi-meaningful or intelligent conversation, they get a lost look on their faces.

Although he knows the alcohol and partying are a factor, he quickly gets frustrated at how shallow the girls are, and how limited their thoughts seem to be.

After a couple of hours, Robert walks up to Lip with a cute brunette under his arm. They are clearly both drunk, but having a good time.

Robert introduces his friend to Lip, and when they turn to leave, Robert whispers to Lip that he's on his own because Robert won't be going home by himself. Lip gives him a thumbs up.

When Robert leaves, Lip decides to head out himself.

In the ten minutes it takes him to reach the door, Lip gets two drunken propositions.

He gives them both a kiss on the cheek, kindly lets them down, and tells them to be careful. He heads back to the dorms, and pulls out a spiral notebook.

He writes to April about how much he misses talking to her. He feels like they are on the same level in so many ways, and he longs for the intellectual camaraderie, among other things.

The next day Lip heads to the Robotics lab and Robert shows up a few hours later.

Lip asks how things went with the brunette, and Robert replies with more info than Lip really asked for, but they both enjoy the chuckle.

"And what young filly did you pick to go home with last night?" Robert asks, certain his pal took someone up on her offer.

"That would be none," Lip replies much to Roberts bemoaning.

"You have GOT to be kidding me Lip?! What's wrong with you? I saw some of the girls that made you offers. Absolutely nothing wrong with ANY of them!" Robert says perplexed.

Lip doesn't reply for a bit, indecisive of how much he wants to share with Robert. He decides to go ahead.

"Robert, I talked to quite a few nice young ladies last night, but none of them did it for me."

"Did IT? What IT do you need? They all seemed female, pretty, and drunk. What more is there?"

Lip chuckles. "I think I've just been spoiled. I have enjoyed sex with someone that I feel connected to, both emotionally and intellectually, and fault me for wanting that again."

"Oh shit. Seriously? You can't get laid just to get laid?"

"I've done plenty of that in my life. At this point, if I did sleep with someone just to get laid, I'd probably feel shitty afterward, because it is so meaningless. I really want more than that."

"I think you'd enjoy it more than you know." Robert says, convinced. "Look Lip, April is gone. You are going to have to move on. You have to give these girls a chance. They may not be as smart as you, but you are a pretty smart dude. You may have to lower your standards in that aspect. There may not be anyone on this campus that meets all your requirements."

But there was, Lip thinks to himself. He knows that everything Robert says is true.

He may not find anyone else that has all the qualities April had.

But dammit, why does he have to settle? He's had it, and he wants it again.

"You know Robert, you are right." Lip pauses for a second, not knowing if he wants to tell Robert the rest. "Did I tell you I write to April, letters, in a notebook? I've been doing it since she left campus last year."

"What the fuck Lip? Is that healthy? How often do you do that?"

"Ian gave me the idea when April first left. I was spinning in place not knowing how to handle all the things I wanted to say to her, but she wouldn't let me. It helped to write it all to her, so I could get it out of my head and move through my days. I enjoyed it enough to keep doing it. I've got a couple of spiral bound notebooks now of nothing but me writing to her. I probably do it four or five times a week."

"Holy shit Lip. What are you going to do with them?"

"Well, they help whether the other person ever reads them or not. One thing that you just said though, has made me realize something."

"Oh really? What is that?"

"There may not be anyone on this campus that meets my expectations. Truthfully, I'd probably have to look on several campuses. I'd have an easier time just finding April herself."

"Yeah, but what can you do about it? Do we have to go to parties on other campuses so hopefully you'll find someone you can at least sleep with?"

"Nope, I'm going to find April." Lip says with conviction.

"You are WHAT?!"

"You heard me. What is the point of looking for someone like April? Like you said, I'm a smart guy. I should be able to figure out some way to find her."

Robert hesitates. He sees Lip's determination.

He shakes his head. He can tell arguing with Lip won't do any good. He lets out a deep breath.

"Well, don't start beating the shit out of me, because I don't know where she is."

"Deal." Lip replies with a smile.