fifteen

Lip tries not to obsess about how high April's fever is, but he is very uneasy seeing her unresponsive for so long. He attempts to pass the time by answering all the texts he receives, but it only adds to his frustration. He considers going out for another cigarette, but would really prefer not to give into that old habit. 

He scoots the chair closer to the bed and stretches his arm across April's shins. He lays his head on his arm, so he can still see her.

Finally, Lip succumbs to all the mental stress of the day and falls asleep. A different nurse comes through the night to check on April's temperature, and it stops rising.

About 8 AM, the nurse that first saw them the day before comes in. 

She places a hand on Lip's shoulder and he startles awake. 

"Good morning," the nurse says in a chipper voice.

"Morning?" It takes him a minute to get his bearings. 

He raises his head and sees April, still asleep. 

"What's her temperature?!" Lip demands, realizing it's been hours and he hasn't a clue if she's better or worse.

"103.5, she's probably past the worse of it," the nurse says lightly.

"How do you know it won't go up again?" Lip asks quizzically.

"It could, but generally when the body gets the upper hand, it continues in that direction as long as the person keeps resting. April seems to be resting more comfortably now than she was yesterday."

Lip sees April rolled onto her side like she normally sleeps. 

"Yes, she does."

"Go get some breakfast, or do something else to get out of here. Come back in a couple of hours, and she might be awake by then," the nurse encourages Lip.

Lip decides she might be right and grabs his coat and scarf. 

When he steps outside the building, he absent-mindedly lights another cigarette. He stands on the stairs, staring out at the snow in the morning light, thinking about the last eighteen hours. 

He looks down at the cigarette in his hand and purposefully stomps it out on the concrete. He tosses the mostly full pack into the trash can.

Lip heads back to the dorms, showers, and retrieves their books from Robert. 

He gives Robert an update on April, and Robert decides to swing by the infirmary before his study group meets.

"We are going to work on the Hydraulics problem set. Do you want to join us?" Robert reminds Lip of the problem set due Monday.

"Nah, I want to get back to April. I'll work on them, but if I get stuck, can I find you tonight?" Lip asks. 

The group really watches out for each other.

"Sure. Or tomorrow. I have plans with a female tonight – no offense."

Lip chuckles, "None taken." 

He remembers that Robert generally stays busy on Saturday nights with one of his many lady friends.

Lip gathers his books and notes and heads back to the infirmary.

When he enters the room, April is still asleep. 

The nurse is there, and lets Lip know that her temperature is down to 102 degrees. 

"It's really good that you brought her in yesterday. I think we have her down to something more manageable now. When she wakes up, we can probably release her."