sixteen

Spring semester continues, and everyone is busy with classes, assignments, and part-time jobs. Even though it's still snowy and cold, the smattering of pleasant days heralds the promise of spring and summer. 

For most, that means being responsible and locking in summer internships, while also looking forward to the respite spring break will offer in the meantime.

While some of the engineering internships are scattered across the county, Lip and April opt for some great opportunities locally. 

Working locally means Lip can still be close to home, but it also saves the expense of relocating for the summer. Internships generally pay very little, and many of the students go into further debt for the opportunity. 

Fortunately, Lip and April have several offers and have the luxury of finding jobs that will build on their academic studies, while staying nearby. Lip will pursue his interest in Robotics, while April will work for a company that field tests construction materials and develops programs based on the data collected.

"Hey man, what are you doing for spring break? Robert asks Lip one day in sociology class. "Are you heading back to Vegas with April?"

"Nah. She'll be going by herself this time. It's just for the week, and I know she wants to pick up a lot of shifts. I'd rather she spend her time off sleeping and not having to worry about me," Lip responds remembering how much April pushes herself.

"Great! That means you can come with me to Cape Cod. My folks live there, but they will be at their house on Martha's Vineyard. I'm inviting some guys to head up there with me. We can spend a day or two in Boston first." Robert tries to be enticing so Lip will join them. 

He and Lip have become good pals over the semester.

"I appreciate it, but I'm heading home to pick up some shifts at the local bar again."

"That's no fun. All work and no play make Lip a dull boy. C'mon, we are almost seniors. You have your whole life to work."

"True, but I still need to make sure I have enough money to get back here next year!"

"Loans man. You are going to make a ton of money when you leave here. With your grades, you'll have so many offers it'll blow your mind."

"That's a nice thought, but I'll believe it when I see it. A lot can happen between now and then." Lip thinks about all his detours. He'd like to believe he'll be graduating college in a year, but it doesn't quite feel like it's in his grasp yet.

"You are being pessimistic. Mark my words." Robert says assuredly.

The days continue to get warmer, and the study spaces around campus are full of students cramming for tests before the break. 

Since spring break is in April, (lol) there will only be three weeks of classes left when everyone returns, with exams after that. The break has always meant a time when students really cut loose before the final push of the semester.

"I feel bad that you don't get to enjoy the desert warmth with me," April says one day when they are walking to class and the breeze still brings a chill to them.

"Oh, summer will be here soon enough. I don't mind. I've been so busy here, I'll enjoy seeing everyone at home. I'll miss the shit out of you though," Lip smiles at her and kisses her.

"Ditto," April replies as he opens the door for her to their class.

When classes finish the Friday before the break, Lip rides with April out to the airport. She will be gone for eight days, coming back the Sunday before classes start again. 

It'll be the longest they've been apart in their relationship.

Lip and April hold hands while sitting together on the train, and Lip periodically reminds April of what to be careful of while she's in Vegas. 

He tells her not to take any shit off of players, to notify the pit boss if she gets uncomfortable, and to get lots of sleep. He kisses her hand periodically while he runs down his list of worries.

April chuckles at him. 

"I'll be okay, I promise. I've been taking care of myself for a long time, you know." She tries to quiet him by kissing him whenever he starts to list things again. 

It becomes a fun game, and before they know it, they are at the airport.

April continues to keep things light and reminds Lip, while they stand at the entrance to security, to have fun at home. 

"You get to spend some time quality time with your brothers and sisters, and I know you've been looking forward to that," April reminds Lip.

"Yep. I'll try to stay busy enough to not think about all the things we were doing last time we were in Vegas." Lip says with a wink.

April lets go of her rolling bag, and puts both her hands on Lip's face and kisses him passionately. 

"I want you to remember some, that way you'll look forward to me coming back."

"Oh, you don't have to worry about that," Lip assures her as he holds her tight and quickly grabs her ass before they part. 

April walks toward the security line and turns to blow him a kiss. 

He mouths, "I love you," as she smiles and mouths back, "I love you too."