Chapter 15

"That was weird." Van said as she sipped her iced coffee. "Can you believe it?"

"Yeah I know." Anna replied as she drank her tea. "It's like we were destined to be."

After the awkward family meeting, Van and Anna decided to dine out. They ate at a good italian restaurant and decided to have dessert at Starbucks.

Camille insisted that they should have dinner with them but the growing tension between her and her uncle made Van decide to ask for a rain check. Disappointed but she accepted it.

"I'm sorry about your parents." Van began.

"Which one?" Anna asked. "The biological or the adoptive?"

"Both. It was sad to find out that your biological parents passed away and it was sad that your adoptive parents was placed in a very hard position because of my grandpa's personal agenda." Van explained. However, if it wasn't for his grandpa, Anna wouldn't be with her right now. And if the tragedy didn't happen, then Anna could be Calvin's wife now.

"It's okay. Look at the bright side. If those unfortunate event didn't happen, then I wouldn't be with you." Anna replied. Thinking the same thing as Van.

Fate brought them together.

"I love you." Van can't help but count on how many times she said those three little words in just three days.

"I love you too." Anna and Van started to lean in to seal their love when Anna's fork fell breaking the magic.

Van instantly went under to get the fallen object when suddenly someone yelled.

"Wahhhhhh!" Van then saw a body fell from under the table. Blood was coming off from her shirt. She looked at the window and saw a hole. Instantly she pulled Anna down.

"Kyahhhhh!" Another one yelled as another body fell.

"Everybody down and stay away from the windows!" Van yelled. Some followed her but some where frozen in place.

Body kept on going down.

And when the sniper ran out of target from the coffee shop, he started targeting the people outside. Body count rose as every second went by.

Van took her phone and dial the emergency hotline. "There's a sniper on the loose. Send help now!"

When the police came, the shooter was gone. All that was left was bodies.

---StrangersInThePark---

"I found it!" Officer Jerkins said. "The shooter was in this room. He left one bullet casing."

"Nice work Jill!" Her partner said. "I'll go radio the sergeant."

"Thanks Kim!"

---StrangersInThePark---

"That was it." Van told the officer that was interviewing them. She was getting annoyed because instead of listening to them, he was ogling at his girlfriend.

Girlfriend? She just remembered. They have already moved their relationship to the next level and she hasn't even ask her to be her girlfriend.

"Okay ma'am. We'll get in touch with you in case we needed more information." He then left them and proceed to he next witness.

"Two shootings in two days! Just where do this people get those guns!" Van heard the other police officer said. She knew where the guns were coming from. It was even possible that it was one of theirs.

"Let's go home." Van then pulled Anna away. The officer's voice kept ringing on her head.

Two shootings in two days.

And in those shootings, there's only one thing in common.

And that was her.

Was she being targeted?

Or was this all a big coincidence?

But she never believed in coincidence. Everything happens for a reason.

---StrangersInThePark---

Most of the uniformed officers were gone when the detectives assigned on the case made their appearance.

They got stuck in the court which they had testified. As soon as their testimony was stated, they left. Both didn't bother to hear the outcome. They knew their evidence was strong and their case was solid.

"Nick! Lexi! It's finally time that my favorite detectives join us." The medical examiner joked.

"We got stuck in the court."

"Ah... I remembered." Sandy replied as she checked the body. "How was it?"

"We left before the verdict." The both detective's phone beeped signaling an incoming message. "We won. The guy was convicted to life without parole." Nick and Lex hi fived.

"So what can you tell us about the bodies?" Lex asked her wife.

"Except for this woman. All of the remaining eleven victims were shot in the head." The medical examiner replied. "I'll know more after the autopsies."

"Well... you better start soon babe... or you wont be able to come home tonight." Lex joked. Sandy smiled. "I'll see you later."

"That's two shootings in two days." Nick said. Saying the same thing as the officer before. "Do you think it's coincidence or someone's being targeted?"

"It was two different shootings, the first shooter was a student... and this one's professional... I can't see any link..." Lex responded.

"Unless somebody's pulling the strings." Both defective said. Their eyes widened at the new idea.

"We better get going then or none of us would be going home to our wives"

"Ayt partner!"

---StrangersInThePark---

Camille was scrolling at the television when it was interrupted by a news. Apparently, there was another shooting and the media were all over it.

"Van!" She whispered upon seeing her cousin at the background. "Oh my...." She knew what to do... there's only one person that could help. "Grandpa..." She ran towards the old man's room.

---StrangersInThePark---

Condrad gripped his phone tightly before throwing it at the wall. It shattered into pieces instantly. "Damn it! Just how many lives does she have!"

His phone was shattered to pieces, therefore he was not able to see the video telecast that was made for their syndicate.

Calvin then came running toward's his father's room. "Dad!"

It was the first time that Condrad saw him like that. "What?"

Calvin saw the shattered phone. "So I guess you didn't saw."

"What the fuck are you talking about!"

"Granpa just released a video telecast to all of our syndicate's head and men. He already named Van as his successor!"

"Damn it!!!!!!!!" Condrad finally loss it.

A/N: Small detail of the shooting can be read at 'Caught In A Bind' chapter 4 while the thorough investigation of the crime can be read at 'High Stakes' chapter 6 onwards.