Chapter 14

"What?" Both Anna and Van asked in disbelief.

"What are you saying grandpa?" Van inquired more. "Anna?" She then looked at her lover. She was not regretting why she never bothered to let the blond share her past.

"I have no idea." Anna said truthfully. "I always knew I was adopted. Both my parent's blood types are O, mine's AB, so I can't be their child." She found that out when she saw their personal records. She knew then that she was adopted. Nevertheless, they loved her like she was their own. It hurts so much to leave her but it hurts more to find out that you have been arranged to be married.

"She didn't know my child. She have no idea who she was and her parents as well." The old man replied. "Come, sit closer and I'll explain."

Van and Anna moved closer. The blond sat on the chair while the raven haired beauty sat on her grandpa's side of the bed. "I always knew you were alive." He looked at the girl. "They never found your body."

"You're grandfather, Adolf Grecko, was my best friend. We have been inseparable since child. Our fathers were good friends too. We made a blood pact that someday, we will unite our families."

They both kept quite and let the old man finish his story. "But our first child both turned out to be a boy. Her wife couldn't bear anymore child due to complications. My wife bore a child but again it was male. She had a miscarriage on the third one so we stopped trying. Even if we didn't managed to unite our families, we still continued to become good friends. It was odd given both our family business."

"Our empire back then was just blooming, but there's one territory that had the most opportunity and that was the Grecko clan. I was happy for them. He's my friend and I knew he would never stab me in the back. Both families had each other's back."

The old man coughed a little but he still continued. "We have almost forgotten about the pact until our sons produced an offspring. Calvin was already born at the time. And when his son confirmed that he's going to have a daughter, it was then that finally, we could unite our families and make our clan even stronger."

"Why were they killed?" Van asked. Anna grasp. She just found out about her heritage only to be disappointed to know that they were dead.

"Because of greed." The old man said. "My friend took an orphan under his wings and at the end, he betrayed them. He wanted the clan for himself so he executed a coup and killed everyone that's loyal to my friend. He never saw it coming. I never saw it coming. I managed to avenge my friend. However, at the funeral, I noticed that there's one body missing. I investigated and no reports of infant death was found. I have been searching for you since then."

Van then stood up. Hatred running on her veins. "You mean to say that you have been searching for her for Calvin?" She gritted her teeth. She loved her grandfather but knowing that the love of her life was promised to someone angered her.

"You're the one that my parent's promised to? I don't understand. I thought you said they didn't know?" Anna also stood up. But unlike Van she was still calm. She placed a soothing hand on Van and the move made the princess calmed down in an instant. She was the only one who had the power over her.

"Let me explain my children." The old man then coughed some more but dismissed them both when they tried to assist.

"Anna, your parent's was coerced to give you away. We used your company to buy them off. They didn't want at first but gave up. They have no idea about our real business, they were only thinking of your future. Who would say no to one of the most richest person in the world. You don't have to work a single day in your life time." He explained. Anna still felt a little angry about her parent's decision.

"And you Vanessa... who said that I was searching for her for Calvin?"

"But you said..." Van tried but was cut off.

"That was before. I never knew you existed then." Van was relieved.

"We are both woman, we can't create an heir."

"It doesn't matter, the Grecko clan was long gone. It's just us now. I just can't leave this world until I found the heir of my best friend. He saved my butt so many times and I wasn't there when he needed me." A lone tear fell on her grandpa's eyes. It was the first time that she saw him showed emotion. He was always cold and ruthless. She never knew that side of him. "How did you find her?"

"She actually found me grandpa."

"Then you both are really meant to be. I'm so happy for both of you. I give you both my blessings. Now I could rest in peace." The old man then closed his eyes.

"No! Grandpa!" Van yelled.

The old man then opened one eye. "I'm not dead yet. I'm just trying to sleep. Besides, I still need to witness your wedding." He teased.

"Grandpa!!!" Van was about to retort back but then the door opened and as always, Camille entered running towards her favorite cousin.

"Van!" She then noticed the other girl in the room. "You must be Anna! I'm Camille? Nice to meet you!" She then held a hand.

"How did ..."

"You wrote her name on your book. You must be soooooooo busy day dreaming about her that you didn't notice."

"You're all too loud. Take it outside!" The old man said.

"Sorry grandpa!" Deeply he felt alive and young whenever those two were around. He can't help but remember those good old days.

"Glad to know you survived the shooting." A sarcastic voice said. Condrad only saw Van, he failed to notice the her beside her.

It was Calvin who noticed. "Father... that girl..." Condrad then took a look.

"Catalina..." he uttered.

"Yes Condrad. Van found her without even trying." The old man said.