Played Like A Fiddle

Sasha and her parents all left for work. Since Hank advised me not to leave, I'm left alone with my mind running at high speed.

I've been awake since everyone left over an hour ago and I feel as though I'm on autopilot, like I'm in a dream.

I sit down at Sasha's desk, my hand on the drawer I pull it open, knowing that I shouldn't.

Shuffling some papers around, sticky notes, stapler and assorted office supplies are all moved aside as if I'm looking for something. Not long until I grab what I've intended. Small hand-sized cardboard box, I set it atop the desk and open it. I know what's inside, but still I marvel at the contents as if this were the first time I'd seen them. Tears well up in my eyes as I lay the bracelet and ring beside each other.

Each piece sends a wave of emotion and flooded memories of each instance I was gifted them.

What if he was using me all along? The gifts, the sex, trips we took, his uncanny endearment and sweet-natured persona. If anything the signs were in his smugness and violent retaliations.

I feel stupid for allowing myself to feel sad over what I thought was true. I keep denying who I see, what he truly is, and that is a monster. With that manipulative personality of his, who knows what he'll conjur up.

With hindsight, I'd have realized the obvious danger I've been in all along.

Not long after I put the jewelry away, there's a knock at the door and I hurry downstairs with a pounding heart because for whatever reasons, Adeen could be on the other side of this door.

Hands shaky, I peak past the curtain to see the back of a suited male. Remembering there's a peephole, I peer out and standing there is Hank, his face scrunched as the sun beams down.

I undo the linked chain, deadbolt and doorknob lock, letting him in.

Of course he wasn't here with good news.

Adeen called Francis Hillentale. The man who has won trials that you'd expect to be clean cut, open shut cases in the other's favor, that's what Hank said anyway.

"Not to be discouraging or anything... I'm just still dumbfounded on how he gets the jury to believe his bullshit."

I sigh, yet another thing to worry about.

"We've got to get our ducks in a row, we're meeting with the two tomorrow."

A sharp pain hits my heart and I flinch, "Adeen too? I- I don't want to see him again, I can't he'll try to get in my head. That's all he does, he turns on this light within himself alluring and drawing people in to like him."

"Well," Hank says. "You've got to show that there's a light to be seen. Now how about we grab breakfast, my treat and we'll talk this over?"

"Okay," I say begrudgingly.

It doesn't take long for me to get ready, soon we're in the car pulling out of the driveway.

"Heard of this place, Chomp Stomp?" Hank asks.

A chill runs up my spine and I do my best to resist the flooding memories.

"Uh yeah, I went once, got sick later that night."

"Ah hell, better steer clear of that place then, neither of us can afford that right now."

I face my window and count the seconds between my breaths trying to calm myself.

We end up at a Waffle House just off the interstate.

"So... We need, to get you," Hank speaks between his sips of orange juice. "Prepared to be on the stands."