Power Trip

Adeen

Gloves are necessary, may as well bring the whole box just in case.

What else, what else, what else do I need? Uh, flash light? No, I'll just use my phone, oh the cooler, wait no there's one already onboard.

"Mm, mm," whimpers Tiana.

I walk out of the bathroom and approach the bed. Her eyes are squeezed shut and she's shivering.

"My stomach hurts so bad..." she moans.

I squat down next to her and place a hand against her forehead, she's burning up.

"I know, you just need to rest. I'm sorry I made you eat, I didn't realize how much pain you were already in."

Tears start to roll down her cheeks, "do you think this has to do with, that day in the library?"

She doesn't want to say it outright, but we both know what she means. I snatch my hand away and stand over her.

"No, I highly doubt it. It's too early to tell even if it was so don't be stupid," I snap.

Her eyes slowly flutter open, she looks up at me, but she's too weak to argue. Good.

"Now, I don't want you trying to get up or anything. I've brought you a jug of water, a trash can if you feel you have to vomit, more soup and paper towels. Don't leave this room, I don't want you falling again, alright?"

"You won't be in here with me?" She whines.

"I'm going to see about catching a few fish."

"You're leaving me here?" She cries.

I silence a groan, "as long as you do as I say and don't get out of this bed you'll be fine. You'll be asleep in no time and I'm sure by the time you wake back up, we'll be back."

"Malina's going?"

"Mhm," I reply, she goes quiet.

I leave it at that, grab my backpack of small supplies and leave her in the room, shutting the door behind me.

●●●

Malina

The movement of the water beneath us bobs the boat around. Surrounding us is nothing but clear skies, the blue sea and sounds of calling birds and whooshing waves.

"This is incredible."

Adeen comes over, rests a hand on the small of my back.

"I'm glad you could join me," he says.

I smile up at him, then the scene in the kitchen with my sister comes to mind.

"Too bad about Tiana though... Do you think she's going to be okay alone?"

His mouth balls up, "she's fine, she's resting don't worry about it."

I nod, look out at the water, "I wonder why she's so sick... Think she'll need to go to the hospital?"

"No!" He snaps. Then he takes a breath, "she's fine, her medication takes a toll on her at times. If things get worse, then yes she'll probably need to go. Now, you want to keep asking about her, or do you want to enjoy this time together?"