marvel • bucky barnes

Return Of The Vanished

   As I stood on the battlefield, my body covered in blood and dirt, I felt as if this was it. We weren't going to win, there wasn't enough of us, and there were too many of them.

   My head felt as if it was going to explode, my limbs tired from fighting, but then something happened.

   A voice that was staticky and quiet broke through the communication set in my ear. A voice I hadn't heard in over five years.

   "On your left."

   For a moment the air left my lungs. Sam. Did it actually work, or am I going crazy? It was like everything slowed down as portals that could only be done by one annoying wizard began to open up around me, letting swarms of people through them.

   "Am I hearing things, or did Wilson just jump on our communication lines?" I ask, pressing my finger to my comm set.

   "Oh, trust me, Y/L/N. You aren't hearing things." His voice was laced with a wide grin, I could practically see it now. "By the way, there's someone that wants to see you."

   It worked. My tired body had found a sudden burst of energy as I jumped to my feet and frantically began searching the area for the one face I needed to see. I saw T'Challa and Shuri, Peter and Sam, and only after seeing Wanda's strong figure a few yards away did I hear what I needed to.

   "Whatcha looking for?" My heart stopped. I slowly turned around, tears forming in my eyes.

   There he was, standing with his gun rested at his side.

   I wasn't one for sappy moments or corny reunions, but I made an exception for him. "You." I step forward, hesitating before running into his chest only to be enveloped by his arms as his gun dropped to the ground.

   "I swear, James Buchanan Barnes, if you disappear again, I'll bring you back and kill you myself." My arms tightly wrapped around his neck as he chuckled.

   "I love you, too."