friends • chandler bing

The One with the Bullies

Y/N walked down the sidewalk and into Central Perk cafe. Swinging the door open, she was waved over by Chandler and Ross. "Hey, guys." She greets with a warm smile. "Gunther, can I get a mocha cappuccino?" She asks, tossing her jacket onto the sofa and plopping down in between the two boys.

"Sure thing." Gunther responds. Y/N turns and looks in between Chandler and Ross, "I thought you guys were going to play racquetball?"

Ross shrugs, "We're tired." Y/N nods in understanding as Gunther brings her cappuccino to her. She thanks him with a nod, sipping on the caffeinated drink while Chandler and Ross talk.

"Hey," A different voice speaks up. Y/N sits her cappuccino down on the table, turning towards the voice. "You're in our seats."

She raises an eyebrow at the man as Ross quickly apologizes, "Oh sorry, we didn't know." The man is soon joined by a shorter guy.

"Hey, we were sitting there." The smaller guy says, making Y/N roll her eyes. "Little miss, no need to get your bra twisted." The guy comments when he notices her action, chuckling to himself.

Y/N scoffs and begins to stand, only to be held back by Chandler. "Okay! There is one more way to say it, who knows it?" He keeps a hand on her arm as he talks, getting the attention off of the girl.

The smaller guy takes a step forward, "Is that supposed to be funny?" Chandler stands up, pulling Y/N with him.

"No actually, I was just going for colorful." Chandler smirks, making Y/N quietly chuckle. She had always liked how quick-witted and sarcastic Chandler was. It was one of the things they had in common, although when she met Chandler, her sarcasm and sadistic nature only got worse from spending too much time with the guy.

At one point, Monica even went as far as to call her the female version of Chandler. Y/N tried to disagree, but soon accepted the fact that it was true to an extent.

The taller guy pointed to Chandler with his thumb, "What's with this guy?" The smaller one backed him up, "What's with you?" He pointed at Chandler.

Y/N nearly laughed, "Do you have anything original to say whatsoever?" She pointed out the smaller guy's habit to repeat his friend.

The two men looked Y/N up and down, making her slightly uncomfortable. "Stay out of this, sweetheart." The taller one commented.

She stepped in front of Chandler and began walking towards the two men, "I'll stay in this if I want to. If you wanted your seat, you could've just asked instead of demanding."

The smaller guy snorts lightly, hitting his friend on the chest in a joking manner, "What's with her?"

"Uh, nothing. Nothing's with them." Ross interjects. "Enjoy your coffee." He pulls Chandler and Y/N away with a smile. Y/N sighs, running her fingers through her hair and grabbing her jacket and coffee.

She leaves her unfinished cappuccino on the counter and the three begin walking towards the door. As we walk away, one of the two annoying guys reach for Chandler's hat, snatching it off his head and placing it on their own.

"What just happened?" Chandler gestures around with his hands. The smaller guy adjusts the hat on his head, "I just took your hat. See, I can be funny, too. My joke is that I took your hat."

"Yeah, we know that was the joke. It sucked." Y/N deadpanned, crossing her arms over her chest.

"That — That is funny." Chandler pretends to go along with the terrible joke. "Can I have it back?"

The small guy shrugs, "No."

"No?"

"No."

Ross takes this time to intervene yet again, "Okay, you know what? I think you're very funny. Kudos on the hat joke. But c'mon, just give him the hat back."

The taller man crosses his arms, "Why should we?"

"Because it's a special hat." Ross begins to explain, earning an odd look from Chandler. "See, he bought it 'cause he was feeling really down one day, so he got the hat to cheer himself up, you know. Now Chandler —" Ross is cut short.

"Just stop talking, stop talking now. Let me just get this straight. You're actually stealing my hat?" Chandler points to the hat and himself.

The taller man nods, "You got a problem with that? Huh? How about your little girlfriend over there?"

"Not my girlfriend, but, no, uh, just want to make sure we're on the same page." Chandler smiles, suddenly nervous from the intimidation of the two men.

^ ^ ^

"Hi . . ." The three friends say as they enter Monica's apartment.

"What's wrong with you?" Rachel asks with a raised eyebrow.

Chandler pouts, "The mean guys at the coffee house took my hat." Rachel gasps lightly, "No."

"You're kidding." Joey speaks up. Y/N shakes her head, "It was stupid. These guys were being jerks about it. I was going to get his hat back, but they didn't want me to start a fight."

"They were bullies, actual bullies. We're grown ups. This kind of stuff isn't supposed to happen anymore." Ross explains. Rachel walks over to hug him, "Oh . . ."

"Oh . . ." Chandler turns as if to hug someone, only for no one to be there. "Oh no, wait a minute. I have no one."

"Neither do I." Y/N sighs, walking over to him. She stands taller, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him tight. She presses her face into the crook of his neck as he wraps his arms around her, pulling her close.

"Hey, woah." Joey speaks up as if he got an idea. "Let's go down there and get your hat back."

Chandler and Y/N both reluctantly let go of one another, turning to Joey. "Forget it. It's probably stripped and sold for parts by now."
Chandler responds sadly.

"Stop being so dramatic, that's Joey's job. We are going to go get your hat back." Y/N promises. "If you would've just let me —"

"I wasn't going to let you get into a fight. As much as I would've loved to see those guys get their asses kicked by 5'4" you, no." Chandler retorts.

"He was just worried you were going to get hurt, Y/N." Ross chimes in. "After all, according to that guy, you are his little girlfriend."

A series of gasps fill the room along with a shout from Joey, "Yes! Finally!" He cheers as Monica walks in the room, "What? What happened?"

"Y/N and Chandler are finally together!" Joey exclaims, making the two mentioned blush at the false news.

"Guys, I said according to the dude at the coffee house." Ross corrects. "Unless there's something they're not telling us." He looks in between the two, "Wait, is there something? Anything? Oh c'mon!"

Rachel smirks as she looks at Y/N. "Look she's blushing! You're blushing and so is Chandler! God, just ask her out already, you wuss!"

Y/N's jaw drops along with Chandler's. "We — We're just friends." Chandler stutters.

Monica scoffs, "Yeah, and I'm a virgin."