the 100 • bellamy blake

The Right Thing

"I . . . can't . . . breathe." Atom chokes out. "Kill me . . . kill me." He pleads.

I look to Bellamy's face. Unshed tears cover his eyes, making him look vulnerable. I walk over to them, getting down on my knees to reach Atom.

I slowly take the knife from Bellamy, knowing he couldn't do it himself. He gives me a sad look, almost asking if I'm sure I could do it. I give a slight nod, turning my attention back to Atom.

   I look him over. Burns cover his body, he's shaking and his throat is closing. I look him in the eyes, my own filling with tears, "I'm going to help you, okay? I'm going to fix it."

   Atom doesn't respond. His eyes bore into mine, making me feel guilt fill my chest. A tear escapes, falling down my face. "I'm gonna help you . . ." I trail off, beginning to hum a song to calm him down. I grip the knife tighter in my hand as my other one brushes the hair out of Atom's face.

   I slip the knife into his neck quickly, my humming coming to a stop. "It's going to be better. I promise." I give him a smile, the best I could muster, before he sends a small one back. A thank you. Relief floods over his features, and soon, his breathing stops.

   I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding. Pulling the knife out and dropping it in the grass, my vision clouds over with more tears, they fall down my face as I look at my hands.

Blood. All I could see was blood. It covered my hands and the sleeves of my jacket. It was everywhere. My breathing sped up, my shoulders shaking from the action.

It had to be done. My conscious tells me. You did the right thing. Did I? What if Clarke could've saved him? I had his blood on my hands. I have to live with that. She couldn't save him. You know that.

"Hey, hey." Bellamy's voice makes me turn to him, his hands grab my shoulders, pulling my body into his chest. "It's okay. You did the right thing." His words are shaky, his tone is reassuring for my sake. His hands brush through my hair, keeping me close to him.

"You did the right thing . . ." The words echos in my head as my shoulders shake with sobs, "You did the right thing, Y/N."