Chapter 6

A week had passed by so quickly. Shana felt so much better being away from everything. She had decided to get a job, move out of the place Geo and she lived in and start over. It was not going to be easy but she had to and wanted to do it. She spoke about moving back home with mum but mum had told her no. She needed to live and find her direction. Home was good but there was not much to move forward. She wanted to be home for her birthday which was in three days. Mum would be the best person to spend her birthday with she thought. She sat on the swing in her back garden. Her tears for Geo had lessened. She still hurt but she came to an understanding it was pointless crying over it. She was just too hurt, he left her for someone else instead of talking to her and sorting things out. The question since when he did not see a future with her kept playing back of her mind but again she kept dismissing it as there was no point. He had spoken, been honest with her and now she needed to accept it and move on. The kitchen door opened and her mum walked out. Mum joined her on the swing next to her. " It's your birthday in three days love, what would you like to do?" Shana spoke quick knowing if she left it to her mum she would practically invite the whole town. " Just us mum, you and me that's it" she said sternly. Mum nodded and smiled at her. 

two days later at Eleven-forty-five pm, she laid in bed awake. She could not help herself thinking of the past four birthdays she spent with Geo. On her first birthday with him, he got her necklace with a wings pendant. The second Birthday he had got surprised her with a stay over at a luxury hotel. Her Third birthday present was a day out at a spa and then a Silver bracelet. Her last Birthday they went on a weekend cruise. She felt a punch in her heart. She wondered if he remembered it was her birthday. She turned to look at the clock. Two minutes more and it would be midnight. She felt lonely and sad. She never felt like this before. She looked at the clock and had thirty seconds left. In her mind, she did the count down and then as soon as it was midnight she covered her face with the blanket and closed her eyes. When she woke up in the morning it was almost eight-thirty. She got out of bed and looked out of her window. The weather seemed good. She smiled and thought to herself it's going to be a brand new day and a brand new start for her. She whispered to herself " Time to move on". She had a bath and got dressed in a pair of jeans and a pink t.shirt. She walked into the kitchen and found her mum decorating a chocolate cake. She giggled when she saw her mum and mum came to her and hugged her " Happy Birthday darling". Mum said smiling and happy to have her daughter home to spend the birthday with. " Cake for breakfast?" Shana asked laughing. " Why not?" replied mum laughing back. The day continued to be fun and quiet. She enjoyed spending time with mum. They went through old albums. She got a few calls from friends and relatives who remembered. They decided to order Chinese for lunch and after they were done both drank green tea. Mum walked into her bedroom for a few minutes and when she came out she had a small wrapped up box in her hand. Shana smiled at her warmly.  " Oh mum!" she said softly. Mum sat beside Shana and handed the box to her. Shana squeezed mum's hands and smiled " Thank you". When Shana opened it, tears swelled up. It was a pendant her dad gave mum when Shana was born. She used to love this pendant and always played with it when mum used to lay her down to sleep. She looked at mum and no words needed to be spoken. Her mum hugged her tight and after a few moments mum said " Don't let anyone change the direction you want to go, baby, you decide the direction of your fate. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't and when you fall down remember there will be someone to lend a hand to pick you up even if it's your old mum." They spoke a little while longer and then Shana wanted to rest. She went to her room and fell asleep in no time. She woke up feeling well-rested and then realized after ages she slept so well. She smiled feeling good.  She picked up her phone and went through her messages. There were a couple of friends wishing her and then to her surprise a message from Geo. It read  " Hope your ok. Happy Birthday, Shana". She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She missed him but did not cry. She opened her eyes and felt glad she did not cry. She replied, " Thank you for remembering, I am doing better". She went on to the next message which was from Jin. She instantly lit up with a bright smile. His message just read " Hope you like surprises". she read it again and tried to think what it meant. He knew she was home so how could he surprise her. She wanted to call him but thought she would do it later. The time read six-thirty. Mum and she had made plans to go out for dinner. She got out of the bed quickly and ran into the bathroom to have a wash. She had chosen to wear a white lace knee-length dress. She let down her hair and curled the ends a bit. Wore the pendant her mum had given her earlier. Pleased with how she looked she went out to see if mum was ready. When she opened her bedroom door, She heard her mum talking to someone. She was hoping mum had not invited someone over when they had made plans to go out. She quietly walked to the living room to see who it was. Her jaw dropped open when she saw Jin sitting on the couch talking to mum. Her heart skipped a beat. She did feel excited and happy to see him but what was he doing here? Did he drive all the way to wish her for her birthday? She had so many questions in her head. Mum noticed her standing and was the first to speak. " OH there she is!" mum said smiling " you have a surprise," Mum said giggling and with a wink, she walked into the kitchen saying she will go get some cake. Jin was standing facing her. He looked at her with a warm smile. She felt her heart skip a beat again. He was wearing a bottle green and black tie-dye silk open shirt with black skinny and black pants.