Chapter 9: Harbringer

Start from the beginning

They slowed down upon reaching the first obstacle of the course. A log served as a bridge over a pit of mud, they jumped on, quickly crossed and kept going. They rounded a bend in the forest and standing before them was Scizor, when he saw them he unleashed a Razor Wind.

The attack struck them but didn't hurt, Scizor had lowered the damage so that they were now fighting an endurance battle against the winds.

Evie used dig to disappear underground and Kin dove down the hole after her, they resurfaced on the other side of Scizor and kept running. They rounded another bend and before them was a long stretch of path, standing in the middle of it was Simisage. He wielded two vines and whipped them back and forth. Summer, Ez and Levi were all struggling to pass him. Behind the grass-monkey was the finish line.

"Any ideas?" Vee asked.

Kin thought for a moment before answering. "Do you trust me?" he replied.

"Yes. But don't even think of touching my butt."

"That was an accident and a mistake, and it well never happen again."

"Well then, yes I trust you completely." Evie said with a sly smile.

Kin nodded at her and they continued running, Kin pulled back and let Evie run in front of him, they approached Simisage, he had seen them and flicked a vine at the pair.

Kin jumped forwards, grabbed Evie's hips, and using Circle Throw he propelled her over Simisage and she flew across the line, rolling and coming up dusty but otherwise unharmed.

"Yeah! We won!" She screamed in excitement.

Simisage's jaw dropped, Ez and Summer ran over the finish line and were quickly followed by Levi.

Stoutland laughed loudly as all his students celebrated the race, except for a certain Poochyena who was blaming the loss on the incompetence of his partner.

Gardevoir was standing at the tree-line and had been watching the whole race, next to her stood a Scizor who wore a proud and knowing smile.

"I see, you were right, those two, they'll make a powerful Rescue Team yet." She said, Scizor nodded his agreement but was otherwise silent.

******

Later that night everyone sat around a small campfire, they had just finished dinner and Gardevoir stood and spoke to the group.

"Everyone, tonight we're going to hear another story from Scizor, but first I would like to congratulate Summer and Ez for winning our obstacle course race."

Confused Summer spoke up and asked what they were all thinking, "But, didn't Evie and Kin win?"

Gardevoir smiled and shook her head. "No, they were disqualified."

"What?! What for?" Evie exclaimed.

"For violating the rules." Gardevoir replied. "Towards the end of the race Kin used the move Circle Throw to propel you over the finish line. The rules state that you are not allowed to attack your classmates, and for that reason, you are disqualified."

Levi's hysteric laughter and Vincent's snickering broke the silence.

"Ha take that losers!" Levi called.

Gardevoir opened her mouth to scold the Poochyena but Evie spoke first.

"Summer! Ez! Congratulations, you guys did really well! That was awesome!"

Kin joined his partner in her praises and Gardevoir couldn't help but smile at them.

Scizor stepped up and began telling another story, they all listened intently, except Kin, who frowned. He was watching Evie from the corner of his eye, she didn't look well, she kept flinching, it looked like she was in pain.