Ch 18: Tough Choices

WHERE WE LEFT OFF...

IN PARIS...

All is silent. The sunlight hasn't quite reached the backside of the massive fortress. The earth shifts in front of Destyni's tombstone seconds before she breaks the surface, pissed off and out for blood.

 The earth shifts in front of Destyni's tombstone seconds before she breaks the surface, pissed off and out for blood

NOW...

Eleni is sprawled out on the tufted cream couch. The morning sun sheathing her in glowing warmth. She sighs and sits up bored, grumbling to herself and frowning at everyone in the room.

"Why am I here? My foresight doesn't work on anyone in this room. I'm useless." she complains, standing to her feet in agitation.

Jordan turns his attention to her, cocking his head to the side, looking between her and the pack doctor. "Something is wrong," he states calmly.

"What do you mean?" Grampz asks, a tired sigh leaving his lips.

He pushes himself off the column by the window. "Amber is the weakest in the room. No offense," he assures her.

Amber shrugs nonchalantly, eyes still trained on the medical tablet in her hands. "None taken." She murmurs, studying Larry and Laurent's vitals.

"Eleni shou' at least be able to use her foresight on her, but she canno. That means one of three things." He holds up three fingers.

Everyone leans in. "Yeah?" Eleni voices.

He holds up his pointer. "One, you losing you ability."

He raises his middle finger. "Two, Amber don't have a future."

He raises his ring finger. "Or three..."

"Three?" Eleni squints.

He stares right at Eleni. "You about to die. Be right back. Stay here." He vanishes before their eyes. Everyone stares at the spot he vacated, blinking.

"WHAT?!" The pitch of Eleni's voice making everyone's ears ring. "You can't just drop a grenade on my life like that and disappear right after," she yells into the air.

All is silent except for the heart monitors attached to Larry and Laurent. Grampz feels his skin prickle and moves from his relaxed position against the window. He walks slowly around the room trying to pinpoint the source of the feeling.

"Amber. Move." He commands, evenly.

She looks up at him from the tablet. "Wh-" Before the word fully rolls off her tongue, Destyni appears behind her and slices the rest of the syllable from her throat.

Less than a second later Jordan grabs Destyni from behind, allowing Grampz to catch Amber and teleport her to the couch.

Eleni grabs a few towels to stop the blood gushing from the crimson smile in Amber's neck. But it's too late. Grampz holds up a hand and shakes this head.