Ch 38 Next Chapter

WHERE WE LEFT OFF...

"We have a problem..." Zale says, emerging from the office fountain, completely dry and still wearing the gray slacks, pressed button up and vest from the meet and greets.

"What kind of problem?" Ethyn (Grampz) asks, rising from his seat behind the desk, capping his gold fountain pen.

"A 'not here' type problem." Zale voices casually.

Sydney opens the closet door that used to lead to the Sanctuary, but is now used to cross into Ethyn's void. The invisible barrier ripples in greeting when Ethyn approaches. Humming in satisfaction when he crosses through it into the void.

Zale and Sydney follow suit, shutting the door behind them. They follow the natural stone path, canopied by fragrant purple and blue wisteria vines until they reach a curtain of water. As they approach, the falls part, exposing the interior of a cave.

Light from the mountain's open peak, ripples off the crystal clear pool at the cave's center, making the rich sapphire deposits twinkle.

Zale follows Sydney into the pool. A plethora of tropical fish swim around them curiously as they sink to the bottom, coming out the other end, feet first, onto a stony ledge overlooking a Caribbean blue sea.

Zale looks up in appreciation. The ceiling of water above him rippling as if showing off in the presence of royalty.

"What's the problem?" Ethyn says, lighting the fire pit in the center of the stone seating area.

"Kai." He says, approaching and taking a seat across from Ethyn. Sydney stands nearby appreciating the view, but her ears are trained on the conversation.

"What about him?"

"He's Kaio."

"...yeah?" Ethyn and Sydney frown in identical confusion.

Zale shakes his head. "Kai is not human Kai. He's Kaio, as in Prince Kaio that's supposed to be dead."

"Come again?" Sydney responds, her head whipping in his direction in shock.

"Kaio, never died. Good news, right. NO! He's branded by the BOE." He stands, running a hand across his forehead in effort to keep the approaching headache at bay.

Crashing waves of silence envelop the tranquil space. Ethyn's eyes close in time with his exasperated sigh. "You sure?"

"Positive. He brought Princess to my concert last night and flashed it to me seconds before that Gen walked in. There was something different about it though."

He paces in irritated thought. "I was wondering why they had a Gen on my detail, but now I know. Kaio is alive."

His mind bounces off the cave walls, flooded with what if's and scenarios "I should have known, I never got his abilities like I did with Kaijin. And everyone knows that when a royal Mer dies, their abilities get dispersed to the remaining royals."

"Why would he-?" Sydney begins.

"Why would she insist on being present if she wasn't a leash. He's their backup plan. He has to be. And she barely let him speak."

He chuckles. "Until Princess called her Donkey in a Shrek accent and told her to stop wasting all the air."

He smirks grows. "Kaijin would have been proud."

He stops his wandering mind with a slight shake. "Anyway, if I'm right then we have to do something."

"Agreed." Ethyn and Sydney voice simultaneously having heard every word of his mental runoff.