The Listening of the Anstead Trial, Part 1

Written for the WeekendWriteIn with a prompt of "bonus".  If you are unfamiliar with the concept of listening and gravetrees, I recommend reading my short story called "Tea and Trees".

~~~

"I don't think I want to listen for this case, Charlie," I said as I quietly ate my oatmeal. "Their deaths were brutal; a serial killer. I'm not sure I can face what the victims have to offer." I was speaking of a case that I'd been approached about by the police in Virginia.

"But, don't the trees typically dampen the negative emotions of the people? Simply because that's what trees do?" my friend, Charlie, asked.

"Yes, and no. That works if people are, say, sad or depressed. It might even work on mild trauma. Gravetrees do this so that the other memories and traits aren't washed away, as far as we can tell." I swirled my food, not really hungry anymore. I had a big decision to make and it was a doozy. Eating wasn't appetizing right now, hence the comfort food.

"But, when people die brutally, there's only so much the tree can do... it can take time to smooth things out. I'll be talking to the newly bonded and that's always a little hard. The trees aren't used to it and sometimes they scream at you unintentionally. Can you imagine having the last memories someone experienced while being murdered by a serial killer screamed at you?"

"Okay, I see your point. So, why are you still indecisive about it?" She shuffled around my kitchen fixing us both some tea.

"Because it's important, and I've been asked, personally, to do it. Plus, there's a huge bonus that comes with it on top of the Listener's fee, which isn't chump change. You know that I could use the money."

"Yeah, I know. I still can't believe he took all the money in the account when he left. I'm sorry that happened to you."

Charlie was a good friend. She always had a kind word to say to me about most everything, in particular when it came to the shitbag Anthony. I should have known better, really I should have. But, dwelling on the horrid breakup that happened three months ago wasn't helping me make my decision about the trial.

"I can get by without the money, but it would make life so much easier to pay off the bills. Not to mention I need a new car."

"Wow. That big of a bonus?" Charlie asked, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah," I said, forcing down another spoon of oatmeal.

"How many of the victims would you have to listen to?" She plunked a new cup of hot tea on the table for me before sitting down, too.

"Well, the newer victims haven't bonded yet, so no one before the last two years. That still leaves nineteen."

"Good lord. Well, he had been at this a long time, hadn't he?"

"Yeah."

We were silent for a few minutes.

"I'm going to do it," I said at last. "It's important and those victims deserve a voice. I can listen better than most everyone I know."

"Good for you. You know I'll be here when you need me." my friend said.

I got the impression that I was going to need her a lot.