XIII

on normal days, ron used to hate the literature class. that wasn't from far a normal day, but he still hated literature. the teacher would talk and talk and talk about books and grammar and ron wouldn't listen a word. he couldn't set his mind quiet, it was like hearing billions of people screaming against each other inside his brain.

he looked back to face enid writing down something about what the teacher was saying, she didn't even look at him all morning. that wasn't usual from her. enid was the most loyal friend ron has ever had. she have always been by his side, and now she would just tell ron a bunch of absurdities and stop talking to him? that didn't make sense. even though what she said would explain a lot of things about his own life, he didn't want to believe it. no, he wasn't crazy. it just couldn't be true. carl was real, he was ron's friend. he could see him, touch him, kiss him. he knew he was real. but deep down enid's words wouldn't leave him alone, so he had to prove she was wrong.

the school bell rings at 10am, maggie always leaves her room to call glenn and check on her babyboy hershel at 10:15am. enid's adoptive mom was the principal since ron started studying there, and she was super kind about the boy and his difficulties about keeping the school frequency. at 10:10am ron is already waiting on the corridor next to the principals room. he can feel people passing by him and giving him strange looks, as if they were scared of him. honestly, it never bothered him, he knew there was no reason to worry about being considered a weirdo, but if what enid said was true...

maggie leaves her room at exactly 10:13am tapping on her phone screen. ron holds the door impending it from closing, he enters the room quickly so nobody can see him sneaking in. her room is extremely organized, ron should be careful not to leave a single paper out of place. he reaches the metallic cabinet and starts tweaking on the drawer of students records. it had to be there somewhere.

he found a lot of records of the actual students but none of the old. carl moved to another school for about a year now, so maybe his record was filled. ron walked across the room to reach the other drawer which is tagged with "files". he tweaks it for a few minutes for there are too many documents, but then he finally finds it.

FULL NAME
CARL ELLIOT GRIMES

COUNTRY OF BIRTH
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

DATE OF BIRTH
27 JUNE 1999

he keeps reading it and everything seems correct. carl did exist. it was him in that 3x4 picture. he was a exemplary student, ron could tell from his grades.

he turned to the next page. that's when his heart threatens to stop beating.

DEATH CERTIFICATE

NAME OF DECEASED
CARL ELLIOT GRIMES

SEX
MALE

COLOR
WHITE

RESIDENCE
ATLANTA, GEORGIA, U.S.A.

DATE OF BIRTH
27 JUNE 1999

DATE OF DEATH
29 OCTOBER 2017

PLACE OF DEATH
SR-401

AT AGE
17

FATHER'S NAME
RICHARD GRIMES

MOTHER'S NAME
LORI GRIMES (DECEASED)

RELATIVES
JUDITH GRIMES – SIBLING
MICHONNE GRIMES – STEPMOTHER

CIRCUMSTANCES OF DEATH
DAMAGED HEART, VARIOUS BROKEN BONES AND INTERNAL BLEEDINGS CAUSING CRUSHED ABDOMEN, CERVICAL SPINE AND HEAD TRAUMA IN A CAR ACCIDENT

ron closed the file immediately, he felt the vomit coming up in his throat, so he covered his mouth and closed the drawer. he wanted to scream and cry and run away from that nightmare. it could not be true. enid could not be right. everything he lived was nothing but a raving from his mind.

if he wasn't insane already, he was about to lose it. he was going out of mind.