XI

"how are you feeling?" ron asks taking a sip of his coffee. carl sighs.

"better. he didn't really hurt me, it was just a scratch!" he says touching his own neck. ron checks it and feels relieved for once.

"i'll meet enid later. i'll ask her to talk to him, to keep him away. she could report him to maggie, she wouldn't even let he enter the school anymore."

"yeah..." carl takes one more sip from his own coffee then leaves it behind. ron can tell he's worried.

"did something happened?" he asks. carl stares at him with gloomy eyes.

"my dad called." he confesses.

"oh my god! what does he said? where is him?"

"he didn't say anything. he just called, michonne picked up and started to cry when she listened his voice. she is so happy he's alive."

"aren't you?"

carl looks down sadly.

"i don't know..." he whispers. "i thought i was, i mean, i should be, but..." he sighs deeply. "i'm the reason he's not coming back. he said it."

"oh, shit..." ron mumbles. carl nods.

"sometimes i just wish i've never been born at all. maybe none of this would have ever happened."

"no, don't say that" the blonde touches the brunette's hand and starts caressing it with his thumb. "what would it be of me if i didn't have you?"

carl tries to express a smile, but he just can't.

"your dad is going through a phase. he loves you, i know it. and he loves judith too. he'll come back. i know it."

"the problem is i don't even know if i want him back. i mean... how would we act around each other? would it be the same as always? would he accept judith or he'd just despise her again? i don't know if that guy was ever able to be a father. what kind of dad hates his own children?"

"carl!" ron reprimands him. "you're talking nonsense. besides, you never really told me why he left."

carl looks at him and swallows dry, interlacing their fingers.

"i don't... wanna talk about it. like, ever."

"wow, fine... but you'll have to put it out someday. you need to deal with this."

carl gives him a dreary smile.

"i think the people around me are the ones who need to deal with it."

ron leaves his cup of coffee behind to hug him, caressing his hair when the smaller one sinks his head against his chest.