8. hope it's okay

Start from the beginning

I'm actually looking forward to going to Newport for the weekend. I want to see the beach and Natalie's parent's inn. I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing Natalie too.

"Well I'm going too."

I almost roll my eyes. "Great."

"Has she said anything about me?"

I stop and turn to look at Brad. "I wouldn't tell you if she did."

"Why not?"

"I don't betray trust," I say a little bothered that he thinks I would just tell him everything Natalie says. Or anyone for that matter. I have honor.

"Oh come on, man, I'm your brother."

"You screwed things up, Brad."

He glares at me. "You have anything you want to say to me, Josh?"

"What are you talking about?" I snap back, my patience is very thin by now.

"I heard you tell her, it's always nice to hear your voice, Natalie. What was that about, huh?" He demands standing in front of me and raising his chin in defiance.

I narrow my eyes at him. "I know Mom taught you better than eavesdropping on other people's conversations."

"And I know she taught you better than to mess around with your brother's girlfriend."

I clench my jaw. "Ex-girlfriend."

Anger crosses his face and he raises his fist as if to punch me.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Dad pulls him back and looks at him then at me. "What the hell is wrong with you two?"

Brad doesn't take his glare off of me and I don't either. He's being so fucking annoying acting like he has some sort of claim over Natalie. I was trying to act cool but he's really getting on my nerves. He shouldn't have been listening to my conversation in the first place. He has no right to just butt into my business or try to intimidate me.

He finally turns around and walks away. My dad looks at me and raises his eyebrows. I shrug. "You know how he is. He's probably looking for an excuse to get drunk."

Brad has been drinking a lot lately. I don't know if it started before he and Natalie broke up or if it got worse after since I wasn't here. My bet is that it definitely got worse after the break up. I leave him alone most of the time. He's my little brother and I care about him but he's also an adult. I'm waiting for him to get it together on his own. Maybe that's too much to ask.

"Have you heard anything?" I ask Dad.

He nods once. "The injuries appear to be non-threatening."

I sigh in relief. "That's good to hear."

"Yes. They're all good men."

"Dad, this wasn't your fault." I tell him when I realize he looks guilty.

"I'm the Captain. I should have been in the front."

"You were." I place my hand on his shoulder. "We don't know what caused this. Don't blame yourself."

He looks at me and offers a sad smile. "Thank you, son, I'm really glad you're here."