Prologue

So, I guess I should start by introducing myself. My name is Parker James. I live with my dad's Grandmother, Mama Rose. My mom split about two years after I was born. I have no clue where she is or if I would even know her if she walked up. My dad tried his best, but he worked sixteen hours days as a mechanic and coming home to a toddler after all that is enough to drive anyone crazy.  I talk to him a couple times a week and he comes to eat every Sunday. Mama Rose has basically raised everyone in our town while also running the only decent diner in 100 miles. Not much happens around here, but Mama Rose's Cafe is on the highway which happens to be one of the most used routes to Florida, so we get plenty of travelers asking to hear their names spoken in a southern accent while they enjoy their meals. It keeps stuff entertaining. Entertainment is something we definitely don't have too much of where I live. We have to drive twenty miles to the movie theater, and since there's only one if you don't preorder your tickets you usually don't get any.
            I work with my best friend, Harper Jenkins. Well, she stands around eating French fries while Jamie and I do all the actual work. Jamie is one of the cooks at the dinner. Harper and I have been best friends since we met in kindergarten. In a small town with names alphabetically close it was basically written by the universe that we'd be friends. I don't know what I would without her; we are almost complete opposites but it usually doesn't cause a problem. Until she tries to make me dance. To say I have two left feet is an insult to left feet everywhere. Jamie Torres is a couple years older than me, but I think I've been in love with him since we met 10 years ago when I was a freshman in high school and he was a senior. No one knows that, of course not even Harper. Things would get weird between Jamie and I if I ever told him and I would rather have him as a friend than nothing at all. He only dates sorority girls from the local university; all of them tall, blonde, and dumb as stumps.