Chapter 38

George’s POV

“What the fuck do you want?” Jay cursed as he opened the front door.

Barging past him I headed through his apartment until I reached the living room, dropping myself down on one of his sofas. He followed after, an expression that was 100% displaying he wasn’t the least bit happy with my presence.

“Seriously Shelley, get out. I’m busy.”

I looked up just as Jay’s girlfriend Nessa called out his name, pausing as she rounded the corner and saw me sat there. I looked up, acknowledging her with a brief smile, being as that was all I could manage right now with the anger riling through me.

As much as it was still a shock that he was in a relationship, I liked her. She was good for him. She wasn’t like any of the girls he use to mess around with and she also had a streak of confidence in her that kept him in place. He needed someone like that, before he followed the wrong path and let himself turn completely heartless.

“This is all shit.” I rasped, running my hands over my face a number of times.

“What is?” Jay huffed, not hiding the fact he wasn’t full on support of me being here right now. His eyes displaying everything he was yet to say.

“This.” I spat. “Isabella fucking hates me and I don’t know where we stand. I did it to protect her, not to put her mum in harm’s way. I don’t know why she can’t see that.”

By this point Jay was shaking his head, looking utterly confused and baffled with what my mouth was spilling. Leaning against the wall, he let out a not so subtle sigh.

“I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about but it sounds like relationship issues to me.” He said, his eyes looking bored. “We both know I’m not your guy for that and last time I checked, my door doesn’t have a sign saying ‘Jay Gibson Therapy – Open for business’, so find someone else Shelley.”

He didn’t get it, and quite frankly neither did I.

First up, I didn’t know why the hell I had come here in the first place. Secondly, I didn’t know why the hell I wasn’t trying everything in my power to find where the hell Isabella had gone off to last night. I was stuck in a rut, confused with what I believed was the right thing to do.

I knew she didn’t want me there, that was clear. However, even though that was the case, I should still be running after her right now. Last night she had sent that message to say she was done. I didn’t know what the hell that was supposed to mean, but what I did know was I wasn’t trying hard enough to find out.

I loved her. That went without question, but part of me had given up trying to fight for something that was never going to last. We all knew deep down that things weren’t going to end well. We put on a false façade, acting like everything was going to be okay. But truth was, it wasn’t and sooner or later this gang were going to be taken down one by one, messing with everything and everyone we loved and cared about on the way. I couldn’t let that happen.

“Can we just go and do business or something? I need to put my mind off this.” I said, standing to my feet and brushing the imaginary dust from my jeans.

“Look, can you go find someone else to bother with this shit. Ask Jess or something.”

Shaking my head, I headed for his front door.

“Nah, she’s all hormonal and shit, I’ll get a bullet through my chest for just turning up.”

We both laughed knowingly. You didn’t cross Jess at the best of times and get a smile, and taking the piss out of her for it, just made it all the more entertaining.