Communication Is Key (Freed X Reader) (Gender Neutral Pronouns)

A/n: Maybe one day I'll write something other than Mira meddling with people's love lives

But today is not that day

Also, I have a lil headcanon that all the fairy tail girls are really close and they have sleepovers and talk about feelings and shit and have no concept of personal space so I might write something along those lines at some point IDK

Anyway, on a more important note, I've made this chapter gender neutral as I've been thinking recently that obviously, it's not just female fans who want to read X Reader fics and pretty much all the ones I've seen are X female reader. So I thought I'd try this and see how people like it and then go back and change the older chapters to gender-neutral pronouns.

Let me know what y'all think :)))))

Y/n liked Freed. It was a relatively well-known fact throughout the guild. At first, it was just speculations, people observing their relationship and interactions and making their own judgement, however, following the last movie night held in the Fairy Hills dorms, a game of truth or dare suggested by Mira had revealed that peoples suspicions were in fact correct.

Y/n had been friends with Freed for a long time, however, at some point, their relationship had shifted into something...more. 

Obviously, they would never say anything about their newfound feelings, not wanting to risk ruining their friendship with the rune mage but sometimes they did wonder if he felt the same.

The H/c mage sat at the bar, happily chatting to Mira and Erza when the white-haired girl made a comment that made Y/n's face pale slightly.

"So I heard something interesting the other day," She was saying, catching both girls attention. "About Freed,"

The H/c mage tried to mask their visible reaction behind a cough, knowing that the other two had clearly noticed it. They tried to act neutrally as Erza asked

"What is it?"

"He likes someone in the guild," 

Y/n felt their heart stop in her chest and had to remind themselves to breathe, acting unbothered by Mira's statement.

"I don't want to say who, just  in case they're around but..." Mira continued and Y/n felt their heart plummet into despair. The way Mira spoke....it implied that this person was someone not around right now. Someone other than them. Although they tried to stop it, they couldn't help the feeling of disappointment that flooded their body. They didn't notice the knowing smiles on both Mira and Erza's faces as they watched the internal struggle play out on their face.

The H/c mage realised they had been quiet for too long and forced themselves to reply

"That's great, I hope they return his feelings," 

Another knowing smile went unnoticed by the H/c mage and they stood up from where they sat at the bar, giving what they hoped was a convincing smile as they spoke.

"I'm going to go look for a mission to do, I'll see you both later,"

Mira nodded and spoke cheerfully, greatly contrasting with Y/n's current mood

"Okay, tell me if you find something!" 

The H/c mage simply nodded and headed over to the request board, reading over the papers posted there.

They didn't notice someone walking up behind her until they heard Freed's voice next to them

"Anything good?"