Chapter 16: Too Split

As always, please excuse any mistakes or errors. I proofread and edit all the time, but things can still get overlooked sometimes.

***

Sunday was the Shield's "Final Chapter." Lily was over Shield disbandings and reunions but this one provided an opportunity for her and Finn to be on the road together one last time because he was booked in a title match against Elias.

They'd been inseparable ever since the brand split. The only time they weren't together was when they were in the ring. Their respective locker rooms only served as a place to change because once they were dressed, they'd meet each other again.

Lily and Finn tried to make the best of the very little time they still had. But, try as they might, a looming sense of sadness tainted their every second together. They held hands and hugged all the time, but that only reminded them that soon they'd be pulled apart. In a way it all made sense. The universe had to throw a wrench into their world because they were perfect. Too perfect.

The match ended and Finn retained. She moved to gorilla. This brought on another bitter thought. Unless it was a Pay Per View, she wouldn't get to do this anymore and there'd be no one standing there to greet her after matches either.

"Welp, they can't take me and your title away. That would just be cruel and I'd have to harass Hunter more than I already am," Lily said.

"I don't think harassing him is a good idea. It might even aggravate him and make things worse," Finn replied.

Back at the hotel, they had sex, but their passionate urgency was heavy with inconsolable depression. They kissed softly for long lingering minutes, but most of the time the sweetness of their lips was mixed with the salty taste of Lily's tears.

"Hey, Lilith, come on, don't cry," he quietly assured her as he rolled onto his pillow. "We're going to be alright, okay?"

His tone was soothing but she received no comfort from it. Without answering, she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

***

"Lilith," Finn called out as he stood over the bed.

"No!" Lily yelled into her pillow as she buried herself face first into it.

"Please?" he begged.

"I said no!" she snapped. "I'm not telling you goodbye and I'm not watching you walk out of that door. It hurts too much. Just leave or you'll only make this harder."

"No, you're making this harder. Do you know how it's going to affect me knowing that you're not okay and I won't be here to make things better?"

"You knew from the start that I wasn't going to be okay with this!" she hissed.

"Lily! Look at me!" he demanded. His tone didn't left any room for argument so she obeyed, turning over to face him. He wasn't crying like she was but his eyes still conveyed sadness. "Our age difference, Cathy, Shawn, Triple H, our breakup, the fans, Shawn again. Let me know if I missed anything but that's everything that I can think of that we've been through and defeated. This can only break us if we let it."

"Fergal, I don't need a motivational speech, I need you! How are you so calm about this?" she questioned.

"I need you more but I know that I have a job to do. This isn't something I'm looking forward to but there's nothing we can do about it. I've acknowledged that and you have to as well. We can't stop it so we have to deal with it and only hope Triple H makes good on what he said about moving you eventually."