Chapter 5 | Impeccable

Start from the beginning

You know, it would be great if he took that empty work table next to mine. Hey, why's he walking over here. Oh gosh, he's pulling back a chair, and now he's sitting down right!! Next!! To!! Me!!

I couldn't not stare at him. And he stared right back, those dark green eyes hiding some unknown emotion. And I wanted to figure out what it was.

Being my usual dumb self, I blurted to Luca the first thing that popped into my mind when the angel sat down. Sadly, it wasn't some sexy innuendo or sarcastic comment that you read about in books. Nope, I spoke the single most idiotic statement my mind has ever thought. Well, one of them.

"If you were a chicken you'd be impeccable." Immediately after I spouted that awful sentence, I covered my beet red face with my hands, leaving my paint stained sleeve on full view.

Why am I such an embarrassment? What have I done to deserve such treatment?

Well...

That was a metaphorical statement. You did not have to call me out like that.

Luca's deep laugh tore me from my thoughts. Holy shit, I just made Luca Night laugh. "Bow before me peasants, for I hold the ultimate power to make even the stoic bad boy of Everly Academy laugh. Fear me!"

Luca chuckled nervously. "Ummm, what?"

I lowered my hands from my still flushed face, somehow even more embarrassed than before. I smiled shyly, "I-Uh, said that out loud didn't I."

"Yes, yes you did." Luca smirked, as if my inability to flirt is funny to him. Knowing his troubled ways, it probably is.

What the shit, why can't this class start already? I looked over to Mrs. Hayes where she sat at her computer, playing solitaire. Wow, who'd expect that.

As if hearing my thoughts, Mrs. Hayes stood up and cleared her throat, declaring, "Alright today's, and knowing how lazy y'all are, the rest of the weeks assignment is to draw or paint  the person sitting next to you hands." Her slow southern accent drawled out the sentence longer than necessary, but the message was clear.

Wanting to escape this uncomfortable situation, I grabbed a canvas, standard acrylic paint, and a few brushes before making my way back to where Luca bemusedly reclined.

Luca placed his hands behind his head and confidently smirked, "Well hello there partner." He tipped an imaginary hat towards me like he was a irresistible cowboy. Jokes on him he's not a cowboy, he's just irresistible.

I grumbled to myself the entire time I sketched out his hands, not really paying attention to what I was doing. You know, like usual.

Finished with the sketch, I finally took a better look towards his hands, only to find them bruised and bloody.

I grabbed his hands, attempting to be gentle but not really accomplishing it. "What did you do, Luca!" I worriedly exclaimed.

His angelic face turned stone cold, void of any emotion, almost like a statue. Luca yanked his hands back from my grip and hissed, "I don't see how it's any of your business new girl, just draw."

Damn, what is it with the people at this school and their mood swings. I guess it's that time of the month again.

I began squirting paint onto the canvas, it was my preferred method instead of dipping the brush into it, mumbling profanities towards the boy the entire time.

Luca put a hand to his ear. His annoyingly perfect ear. "Care to repeat that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your stupidity."

This time I spoke louder, although with a giant smile on my face that was completely contradicting. "Which part do you want to hear again. When I called you a monumental meanie that's almost as important as the g in lasagna, or when I said that your inferiority complex that causes you to act out is wholly justified."

Luca blinked slowly, his bruised fists clenching. Uh oh, I think I made him mad. That's not good. Think fast Indigo!

I looked at Luca past my canvas, "Why are your hands injured?"

Luca has the audacity to look sheepish, effectively taking his mind off my amazing comebacks. Good, I think I distracted him.

Before he could answer, the bell rang. Why does this always happen, I swear this bell is handled by a mysterious force that uses it so they don't have to write longer scenes.

I put away all the supplies and when I went back to grab my stuff, Luca in all his good looking glory was gone. Like poof, no more hot stuff.

I shrugged and moved on, ready to go back home. Where mom wouldn't be because she was working, where I'd be all alone...

A bright, giggly voice stopped me in the hallway on my way out. "Indigo, wait!"

I turned only to run directly into Kana, and both of us went crashing down like two really heavy dominos. We laughed it off and picked up our stuff. While handing me one of my fallen binders, Kana surprised me by asking, "There's a back to school party tonight, and it'll be loads of fun, and everybody else is going with somebody, and I don't want to go alone, so do you like, maybe wanna come?"

The binder she handed me dropped from my fingers. I scrambled back down to pick it up, saying, "Um, sure, I'd love too, but isn't it a school night?"

Kana flocked the thought away with a wave of her hand. "Technicalities." She grinned lopsidedly, "This is high school, no one cares about those."

Standing up I walked a few paces to where my locker was conveniently located. "But aren't most parties on like a Friday or something? Today is Monday." I opened my locker and placed all my school supplies neatly in it, then turned around to face Kana.

She pushed her index finger in front of my face, effectively making me shush like she wanted. "Shhhhh, little one-"

"But, I'm a few inches taller than you-" I interrupted, but her finger once again made me keep quiet.

"I said shhhhh. Let the smart people speak." I raised an eyebrow while looking down to where her finger was still in my face.

She cleared her throat and lowered her finger. "Sorry about that," she squeaked, "But it's the first party of the month and it can't be on Friday because that's the first football game of the season, and everyone would go to that and not the party, so everyone decided to throw it on the first day of school."

"Ummm, isn't it a little early for football?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"It's never to early for football." Kana deadpanned before her face turned back into her buoyant self. "So, are you coming to the party?" She inquired.

I stretched the back of my neck. "I don't know..."

Her almond eyes grew big and her lip trembled. Dang it, she found my weakness. I can never handle the puppy eyes.

I tried to hold on for a few more seconds, I really did, but her eyes man. I succumbed to their cuteness. "Fine," I grumbled, but ended up smiling after Kana's oval face lit up like a Christmas tree, "I'll go to the party tonight." I added a little softer than before.

Kana clapped her hands excitedly and bounced around in the now empty hallways. "Yay! I'm so excited. We can get ready at my house and we can plan killer outfits and then we can show up looking like total babes and then we can have the time of our lives!!! It's gonna be spectacular! You won't regret this!" She gushed. I gave her my phone and she punched in her number, messing up here and there from her abundant amount of energy.

Kana's enthusiasm must've been contagious because after she bounced off somewhere down the hallway, I let myself growing the thrill of the party. The music, the lights, the food. Yeah, the food.

I wondered back down the hallway and down the steps of the school and stopped in my tracks. Didn't my mom take me to school? And isn't she working for the rest of the day? And so  now I'm stuck at this school with no way to get home because Kana is somewhere bouncing off the walls and I spent so much time talking to her, everyone else left.

Well, shit.