Chapter 3: Nathan

Chapter 3: Nathan

"Ariel, meet Nathan. Nathan, this is my daughter, Ariel," 

I sat on my bed thinking about what happened in the house tonight. Nathan seems to be a nice guy, but something is not right about him. Mom keeps on saying he was just an old friend.

But it doesn't seem like that. The way he looked at my mom, really makes me worried. He was eyeing mom like a predator would eye its prey. I hoped he iwas just a friend and not more than that. 

For few days, Nathan keeps on visiting our house. I found out that mom was helping him as an assistant, for what, who knows! He uses the excuse to pick and send mom back to house every day, although we have our own car.

I've always trusted and respected mom. So, I would never question her whenever she is with another guy. I mean she is still considered as married although dad is not here, right? 

That weekend I told mom that I'd help Sarah's family doing stock check for their shop. It might take the whole night, so I'ld just stay at Sarah's house.

However, we managed to finish earlier than we thought. So, I decided to go home instead of staying at Sarah's house. Mom might feel lonely. That what I thought.

Sarah's dad sent me back. It almost midnight but the light in the hall was still on. I've suspected something was wrong because there is no way mom will be awake this late. 

Nathan's car was on the driveway. No way, he was still here? There would be rumors linking mom and him if i didn't stop them. I'ld have to talk to mom about this problem.

I stepped in just to see mom hugging Nathan happily. What the hell? 

"MOM!"

She was so shocked to see me and I know that she was not able to utter any words. 

"Ariel, you are back," yeah surprisingly, Nathan answered.

"Yeah, I’m back. What the heck are you doing here in the middle of night? And mom, why are you hugging him?" I was fuming.

"Ariel," she sighed, "we thought we will tell you tomorrow, but.... since you are here now......."

"What is it mom? Don't tell me you are in love with him because that’s not going to happen," I said angrily.

"Ariel, I think you should calm down. You don't have to be harsh to your mom," Nathan interfered.

"I think it’s better for you to leave Mister. This is between me and my mom."

"Ariel, you don't have to be like this......" mom pleaded. Whoa, she opened her mouth to back him up.

"It’s okay dear, it’s better for me to leave. Will you be okay or do you want me to be here?" Nathan whispered to her.

What the hell is going on? Did he just call her dear? Such a drama. Can't take this now,

"It's okay, you two love birds can stay lovey dovey here. I will leave," I said sarcastically and left to my room.

"Ariel, Ariel...." there goes her pleading. I locked my door and took a long cold shower. I heard someone banged on my door. I just don't care at the moment.

I take a look of myself on the long mirror that I had. It was a gift from my dad. My eyes looked red from all the crying i had in the bathroom. 

Oh my God! What should I do? Mom is having an affair with her old school mate. Is it called as an affair? Mom already stopped believing dad will return one day. I knew how deep she loved him, but how can she forget all that in an instant. I know....i know that she deserved to be happy, but not this soon. 

How about me? Did she ever think about me? I must have been very tired thinking about every single thing. So, I let my eyes close as i felt sleep consuming me. 

The next morning, everything gets harder and harder. I saw Nathan walking out from my parent’s room. Just close your eyes Ariel, I told myself.

I went to the kitchen to grab some food. I'm starving because of all the thinking my brain doing. That's when Nathan walks in with half smile. He leaned over the door before wishing me. 

"Morning Ariel," he wished happily. I was stunned. Wait a minute. Last time i checked, I’m not in any speaking term with this guy. I just gave him 'what the heck' look.  He doesn't seem surprised.

"Oh, by the way, I will be staying here for a while before moving back to our hometown. Your mom said she need some time to clear all the stuffs here." He gave his poisonous smile before going out of the kitchen. 

I just stared at the door. Wait, what? 

Why is the shop closed today? I need to get out from here. Even Sarah is not here, she went somewhere with someone, who knows. Errgghh....I'm stuck in the house, nowhere to go. Why didn't i make a lot of friends? Regretting now. Help me God, where ever you are. 

Someone just knocked.

"Ariel, please talk to me. Let me in, please," oh no, mom and her pleading. What should i do? I'm not ready to face her. 

"I'm coming in…" yeah right, she can try all day. I've locked the door. Did I? Wait! Before i even realized the door wasn't locked, she already stepped inside. 

"We need to talk Ariel," she started slowly.

"I know you are angry. You have all the rights to be angry. But please let me explain ok," she continued.

"You don't have to explain anything. I'm not a small child, mom."

She came nearer and sat on the edge of the bed. I looked away.

"I should have told you sooner....." I looked straight into her eyes.

"Mom, it doesn't matter whether you tell me sooner or not. But, don't you think its too soon to be with another man. How could you do this to dad?"

"Ariel, we had this talk before. Let me remind you, he left us and he is not coming back, ever. Face it. I'm not going to wait for him anymore. I'm not going to waste my life anymore. Nathan is a good guy. I knew him very well. He is sending me to a college so that i can continue my studies...." I cut before she continued.

"I don't understand, mom. Why do you want to study now? Is that one of the reason you two are together," I asked.

"What? Ariel, if it wasn't for you, I would have finished my studies....We are not talking about it ok? I just want my life back. I have my own dreams. So, please… please understand..." She stood up and walked to the door. She turned to look at me,

"I've decided to move in with Nathan. So, start to pack your stuff. We will be leaving this Wednesday. And you are definitely coming. No excuses. I will prepare the paper work for you to transfer school." With that, she left the room.

How was it? What do you think about Nathan and her mom? DO comment and vote..thanks again. Please continue with next chapter. 

Pic of Nathan ------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>