EXCHANGE STUDENTS 3/3 - Muke

Start from the beginning

Luke didn't realise he had started running until Michael looked up and he suddenly found it hard not to trip over his own feet. A huge smile spread across Michaels face. It lit up his whole features and he started stumbling towards Luke too. They both extended their arms and after what felt like eternity to Luke, they met in a bone crushing hug.

Luke never thought hugs could carry such strong emotions. But this hug was different. They were both desperately holding onto each other. It was like a promise to never let the other one go, never be apart for so long again. Then, Luke breathed in Michaels scent and that was definitely too much for him. He didn't even feel any shame as he let the tears fall from his eyes onto Michaels flannel, while Michael was rocking him from side to side, whispering "I've missed you so much" again and again, like a broken record. Luke thought the could physically feel a missing piece of his heart clicking back into place again. He felt whole, here, with the person he cared about most in the world.

They finally let go of each other after a fair amount of time, Luke drying off his tears while he greeted Michaels dad. Michael asked Luke about his flight and Luke reassured him that it was good and comfortable and that he'd slept most of the time. Which was, of course, a lie. They continued to make small talk, at some point Luke stated that he was hungry so they stopped by at Taco Bell to get some Tacos.

The moment they arrived at Michaels house, Luke was pulled into a big hug by Michaels mum and greeted by Michaels excited dog. Luke walked through the front door and took a moment to just stand there and take it all in. He would need to treasure this moment forever, he thought.

Nothing had changed. The house still smelled the same, the same pictures of Michaels childhood were put up on the walls, now joined by a picture of Michaels graduation. Time had left it's marks on the wooden floor, though Luke suspected it was not just time but mainly Michaels dog.

It was only an hour later when Luke found himself laying awake in Michaels dimly lit room. Just like last time he and Michael shared a room. Luke was laying on his bed, his eyes staring at the empty bed a few feet away from his own. Michael was downstairs watching TV - it was only 6pm but Luke was exhausted and jetlagged. At least until five minutes ago. Now his mind kept wandering to the boy downstairs and his heart contracted. He wanted to talk to Michael so badly, but things had been so hectic and Luke so exhausted and on the edge.

'First thing in the morning', he told himself. He was gonna talk to Michael first thing in the morning.

'In the morning' became 'in the afternoon', when Luke finally awoke from his comatous sleep to Michael announcing that Luke had to get dressed to go over to Ashton's house for the 4th of July party today.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be down in 5 minutes..," Luke had grumbled out and dragged himself to the bathroom after another five minutes of power napping.

Honestly, Luke didn't remember much after that. He was kind of half- sleepwalking into the shower, then into the car and over to Ashton's house, and now he was sitting a little distance away from the guests at Ashton's parents 4th of July party on an old rusty garden bench together with Calum, Ashton and Michael.

Dusk had broken about an hour ago but the world was lit by exploding fireworks and bonfires.

"Guys I'mma get us a beer," Ashton smiled at Michael, "Calum, help me carry."

"Noooo! I don't wanna get uppp," Calum whined only to have Ashton squeeze his shoulder. "You. Are coming. With. ME," he said and held out a hand to help Calum up. Calum looked confused but got up anyways, probably knowing better than to argue with Ashton.

"Thanks, mate," Michael whispered as Ashton passed him.

Luke and Michael sat in silence for a while, only watching the colorful explosions light up the night.