11 ♥ Seven Minutes

Ida and I shared a much needed night off, to her protests of course, and I actually got some studying done. With all of Jackson's help, I felt as though I could finally understand school.

Really, I needed a good night's rest knowing I would be heading out to a party the following evening. That knowledge, along with the added stress of a quiz the next morning, made me immune to all forms of persuasion that Ida handed me.  She gave in quicker than usual, and I assumed it was due to the fact that she was also tired from the constant rebellious night escapades. I knew she would never admit it though.

As I left the classroom feeling as though I had aced my assessment, I was confident I could have fun that night without having to worry about my grades. I had Jackson's support, and he was a great teacher. Thanks to him, I could still see Niall. He had no idea the gratitude I felt toward him, and I doubted he knew a fraction of how much our arrangement was benefitting me.

"All ready?" Ida asked just moments before we had planned to leave.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "It's been an appropriate amout of time since the last time we were caught. They might think at this point we'll try it again. What if they're anticipating it? I can't risk getting caught again."

"We won't get caught. How many times are you going to try and resist these outings until you realize they're inevitable? Now come on. Grab your purse and make sure the lights are off. We have a party to attend."

"Ida, I really don't know," I said, still hesitant.

"Fine," she sighed. "I'll go ahead first, alone, and if anyone gets caught it'll be me. What do I have to lose?"

"Expulsion."

"They're all bark, no bite. I'll be fine, and I can prove it. Just wait a bit for me to reach the fence. I'll send you a text when I'm through."

I groaned and she stealthily snuck out the door of our room.

I sat back on my bed and glanced out our one single window. What was I so afraid of?

I shut off the lights and stepped over to the door, my hand on the knob ready to twist. I stopped myself though as the sound of voices filled my ears. They were hardly audible, but audible enough for me to recognize Ida's excuses and the stern voice of our house administrator.

Ida had gotten caught again. I should've known better. I should've stopped her.

I couldn't hear much after that, and when I glanced out the window I saw that the two of them were making their way down the large hill toward the heart of campus.

Shit.

A few moments later, Ida texted me.

Ida: Busted. I told them it was just me but they’ll be checking in on you soon, so act asleep. Once they’re gone, you can go ahead and leave. You have a party to get to and a man to see ;)

The lights were off, and I slid into my bed fully clothed in the outfit I planned to wear tonight. I covered myself with blankets and waited for what felt like hours. Eventually, I heard the soft knock on my door just as my eyes fluttered closed. A second later, it swung open, and I tried my best to slow my breathing and act as asleep as I possibly could.

I didn’t even see who it was that came in, and soon enough they were gone. After the door clicked shut, my eyes popped open. I threw the covers off of me and sat up. The light in the hallway went off as well, and I could hear through the thin walls the sound of the house administrator’s door shutting. I was safe.

I felt bad sneaking out without Ida. I felt like I was forgetting something vital. It was also twice as nerve wracking. If I got caught, I would be getting caught alone. I wouldn’t have her there to struggle through it with me.