Chapter 16: The Masked Ball

"What do you think of this one?" Rory asked as she stepped out of her dressing room, wearing an cold-shoulder, embellished, red dress with a tulle skirt.

"It um...has a large circumference," Maddie chuckled.

"Yeah, I kind of hate it too," Rory laughed. "It looks better on the hanger than it does on me."

"Yep," Maddie nodded. "Take it off."

"With pleasure," Rory replied, disappearing into her dressing room once more.

Next, she came out wearing a light blue, cold-shoulder dress with an embellished neckline and mesh sleeves.

"I'd like it, if it weren't for that slit," Maddie decided.

Rory nodded in agreement and returned to her dressing room with a sigh. She put on the final dress she had picked, and stepped out. "Do you like it?"

Maddie's jaw dropped as she watched her friend twirl in the light blue dress with the tulle skirt and flowers on the bodice. "You look stunning."

"Thanks," Rory chuckled. "This masked ball is going to be so exciting!"

"Please tell me you're going to get that dress."

"I think I will," Rory smiled. "I really like it."

Maddie clapped. "You're going to look like Cinderella and it's going to be amazing."

Rory laughed. "Thanks. Hey, what about you? Aren't you going to get a dress?"

"I got one," Maddie nodded. "It's deep red with a satin skirt and a gorgeous pattern on the bodice."

"Sounds fancy," Rory chuckled.

—————

"Do you see him?"

"Rory," Maddie sighed, "we're at a masked ball. It's kind of hard to tell which guy is Jamie when they're all wearing -ya know- masks."

"I texted him a picture of my dress. Hopefully, he'll come and find me," Rory sighed. "I'm going to get some punch."

"There's punch?" Maddie questioned.

"I don't know. Isn't there always punch at these types of things?"

Maddie shrugged.

"Then, I guess I'm going to go find some punch," Rory laughed, walking away.

"Ah, bon jour, Mademoiselle," came a man's voice from behind.

Maddie spun around. "Danny," she laughed, "when did you learn to speak French?"

"Since I looked up how to say 'Hello' on the internet, about five minutes ago," Danny chuckled, wrapping his arms around Maddie's shoulders. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," Maddie blushed.

"Hey, lovebirds," Rory teased, approaching the couple with a glass of water in her hand. "I couldn't find punch."

"I see that," Maddie chuckled.

"You two should go dance," Rory urged.