Chapter Three; The One Where He Races

Jaxon

 "So, Gen, can I call you that?" Cali asks, leaning over the center of my car to see Genevieve in the passenger seat. "I'm calling you that -how do you get Jax to smile?" 

I send her a cold look in the mirror before turning back to the road. Noah and Cali get dropped off at a ice-cream spot two blocks away instead of coming inside.

Quin, who which is the only person I trust at the track is going to watch her. I wouldn't leave her alone, it's too dangerous but she annoyed me into going and she's avoiding her dad. I can't have her in my car in case something happens. 

"He does it all on his own." She answers, her body is already facing me so I can see her light blush and lip bite. "I just sit there and talk."

"If I just sat there and talked for hour he'd punch me." Noah pipes up, making her giggle. 

"I wouldn't put that past him." She says.

I send her playful glare. "What's that supposed to mean?" I tease her by poking her thigh lightly, she squeals and slaps me away but I smirk at the road again.

"Aw, you guys are so cute." Cali gushes, causing me to wince. 

"Shut up," Noah hisses at her. "Jaxevieve hasn't been official yet. You'll ruin the chances." 

I gulp and pretend to ignore them, neither of them know how loud of a whisperer they are. Genevieve look back at them with a smile. "We can hear you, just so you know. What is Jaxevieve?"

"Your-" Cali is cut off by Noah slapping his hand over her mouth, which she retaliates by biting him. Genevieve settles back into her seat and listens to the sound of them bickering. 

Thankfully they get out soon, telling me they'll get a Uber instead of me driving them home. I relax back, startled slightly when Genevieve randomly grabs my hand and starts fiddling with my fingers -I realize she's looking over my family ring. 

"I love it when rings are passed through generations, you can look down and see your heritage, your bloodline. It's so cool, I wish my family had rings like this. Does your family have a motto or a reason for all these colors? I think my moms family used to have a ring, and I know I'm supposed to get my grandmothers ring when I get married as some sort of blessing -but let's be real. That's probably never going to happen so they'll probably go to Nick and his wife. I hope she's nice enough to keep them, I don't think I could stand a Nick two point O. I don't think you could either, and I really hope this," She motions between us, making me raise a eyebrow. "Lasts a life time." 

I grin, moving my hand so I could hold her hands, noticing how mine engulfs hers whole. She doesn't seem to mind. "That's one rant I wouldn't mind you going on again." She blushes, and I turn into the track's parking lot. I need to drive into the building and to the track, which is safer for her then walking. "And you see how there's a black cage in the shape of a tree, with all those colored diamonds behind them like leaves?"

"Yeah, they're really cool." She mumbles, turning my hand over again. 

"Well, each one represents a person who has worn this ring, it's been passed through thirteen generations of Valdez's and I'm the twenty third person who gets to pick a diamond." I pause, glancing down at our hands before making the first move into the building. The real space is in the basement, where the track is next to. 

"And I have no idea what color I want, it's supposed to mean something. My dad picked grey because it's the color of my mom's eyes, but he didn't really care about it. I don't really think I should be the person who has it anyway, I'm not good enough for the legacy. All my ancestors seem like such good people..." I trail off, realizing that for once I'm the one who went on a rant and reveled more then I wanted to.