Prologue; The One Where They Meet

Disclaimer: this book is now being rewritten and published on whoscountinganyway instead of here under The Golden Jax and the Genie please go read it! Details on last chapter here, titled "For Readers"

Jaxon

I walk through the halls, I used to find it weird how people avoided my gaze and girls flushed, how only my friends got up the courage to ask me something, by now I'm used to it.

When the previous delinquents moved away and went to college I became the new one, the only one, and at this point I'm not sure that's a good thing.

People are afraid of me now.

For good reason, I will ruin anyone if they mess with me. 

I hate being alone now, it makes me think. And thinking doesn't help. 

Racing does.

"JV," I turn at hearing my nickname, and stop walking when I see it's Noah and Calliope trying to walk with me to lunch. I wait until they're next to me to keep walking, this being our routine if they see me in the hall. "Did you hear?"

I shoot her a look, she knows I don't care or listen to rumors. "No."

"It's about Nick." With that simple sentence my blood boils and I feel my anger grows. I stop in the hall, they move around me so we can talk. Noah puts a hand on my shoulder but at my glare he steps back.

"What about him?" 

Nick Miller, the dick bag that tried to rape my best friend. I'll never forgive him and I don't think I'll ever stop punching him, or benching him since I'm quarterback. 

"His twin, the cheerleader, they had a fight in the courtyard. He hit her. He's in the principals office right now, his parents are coming to get him. Suspended for two days." My fists clench at hearing he hurt another girl, even if it is his sister.

"Can she defend herself at all?" I ask, but it sounded more like a growl. They shake their head.

Noah's eyes shine in mischief. "We befriended her, she's meeting us after school before cheer practice."

"Count me out." I say, turn completely around and walk away.

"See's a hot blonde dude!" Noah shouts. "Real nice too." 

"That doesn't help." I mutter, swinging myself outside.  

I'm leaning against the back wall of the school. I toss my apple at the tree opposite of me just as the door opens, the birds instantly swarm to it -picking out the seeds and left over material.

"Do you do that on purpose?" I swing around, coming face to face with a smiling blonde. I see a mark on the side of her cheek, as if she was recently hit. My anger grows as I realize her amber eyes are so similar to Nick's. It's his sister. 

 She's so tall, taller then my best friend. If I had to guess I'd place her around five seven. She's wearing a baggy red sweatshirt and jeans, somehow simple is better then all the dressed up like her squad and other girls I'm used to seeing. 

"No." I say, standing straight to walk away. 

I feel her eyes on me and I hear her sneakers against the pavement, she grabs my arm, spinning herself to face me. Her amber eyes scan mine, my lips pull into their usual straight line and I rip myself from her grip. "Don't touch me."

"You look sad." She murmurs, I blink taken aback. "I'm going to be your friend."

"What? No I don't and the fuck you are." My harsh words do nothing to stop the smiles on her face.