19. Homecoming?

I can't wait to go back to school, it has been what feels like forever. I mean, I'll have to walk around holding a crutch, but that's not too bad, right? I go to bed with a light, happy feeling. Ever since Daniel visited me in the hospital last week, I haven't really messaged him much. I hope he hasn't been too lonely. All my friends kept blowing up my phone about Homecoming while I was still in the hospital and it started to annoy me. It would be kind of fun to go, though.

When I wake up the next morning, I do the exercises the doctors want me to do. Apparently, doing the exercises helps me heal but it really hurts so...rude. I'm kidding. I get in the shower and then eat breakfast. I walk into school with my one crutch feeling so happy and light-hearted. The day goes by fast and, surprisingly enough, I don't have a lot to catch up on.

"Sorry, I was so focused but we just couldn't catch you in time," Kiara tells me at my locker between 4th and 5th period.

Another girl from the cheerleading squad says, "Is your leg better? I'm so sorry I couldn't be there when you needed me." All these apologies yet they just jump in about who they're taking to Homecoming. They also bombard me with questions like, "Do you have a date?", "Has anyone asked you yet?", "Do you plan on going to Homecoming?", and more questions like that. It's just...too much. I tell them I want to go and I haven't been asked yet. They just don't understand what I know.

To be honest though, Daniel hasn't talked to me since I've walked into school and I really want to just have a nice conversation after what I've been through. I just want to hug him because I haven't seen him in so long, just not around everyone else. I see him in art but don't say anything, I just think about asking him to Homecoming. I mean, if he doesn't say anything today, I will have to ask him.

"Hey, Blossom! It's been a little while," Daniel says to me outside, after the final bell rings, "I'm glad you're back!"

Since we're outside, I fling my arms around him and hug him. "I've missed you so much!" I tell him, pulling away.

"It's only been a week, though."

"Yeah, but it's been pretty lonely being in a hospital by myself."

"I've been kinda lonely, too. But hey, I have something to ask you."

Is this what I've been waiting for? "Shoot for it, not literally, figuratively."

"Um, well," he clears his throat, but also motions for me to follow him. He leads me to a more private area of the school courtyard. Once we're there, he looks me in the eye. "Before I met you, I would've never had the courage to do something like this, but you've really helped me to come out of my shell." I smile even brighter, "So, what I'd like to ask you is," he gulps, "Would you like to go the homecoming dance with me?"

"I don't know, it's kind of late...just kidding!" I say, hugging him again.