16. The Accident

I don't normally go to sporting events, especially school ones, but I want to support Blossom, as today she's "the star of the show" as she put it. I've never really watched cheerleading before, either, so I'm kind of excited.

Dad drops me off in the parking lot just outside the soccer field. I'm using my wheelchair today because of the amount of people.

"Do you want me to stay and wait for you?" he asks.

"No, I'll just text you when I'm done, or Blossom can give me a ride," I reply. I turn around and make my way to the home team bleachers, then park myself in the front, next to the gate. Blossom is sitting with the rest of the cheerleaders, laughing and talking. I wave to her, but she doesn't notice. A few rows above me, I glance over and see Mason glare at me.

"And Smithson kicks off, passing it to Hart!" the announcer's voice booms from the speaker high above, commentating the game.

"Score: Chasten City: 2 and Parktown: 1!" I stop paying attention for a while, but I'm suddenly awakened by the whistle blare of halftime. The two teams run off the field, and the cheerleaders run on. This time, Blossom notices me and waves, smiling brightly. Mason gets up off the bleachers and walks away from the field, making an effort to bump into me on his way out.

"Chasten City, who are we!?" Blossom shouts.

"Chasers! Chasers!" the rest of the cheerleaders echo.

"Let me hear you!"

"Chasers! Chasers!" I shout with the rest of the audience.

"Let's go 1 2 3!" The cheer team puts down their pom-poms and begins to get in formation. Four of the cheerleaders huddle together, but I can't tell exactly what they do. Then, Blossom climbs up onto the supporting cheerleaders' hands and balances in the middle.

How can people do that? I think to myself. Suddenly, Blossom is propelled into the air. While she's flying, she does a little twirl. She has to be so flexible to do that! She lands on the bottom cheerleaders' hands again and stands there for a minute while the cheerleaders around them do some moves.

"Are you ready, Blossom?" I think I hear one of them say.

"Yes," I hear her reply. They bounce her up and down a couple of times, then send her into the air again!

As this happens, Mason runs back and stands next to the fence around the field.

"Hey, Amber! Wanna go out with me?!" he shouts. One of the four supporting cheerleaders turns around quickly to look at him. She's not paying attention when Blossom comes falling to the ground.