10. Growing Closer

Blossom is really getting the hang of Pre-Calculus. We meet in the library every Tuesday and Thursday each week, and Blossom told me her grade in math is improving. After only working a few problems, though, we stop doing math and end up just talking. I found out that Blossom likes art just like me, and she's a cheerleader, too. One day, however, Blossom and I learn a lot about each other.

"Hey, Daniel!" Blossom calls to me in the hallway, just before I head out the door on Monday, "Can you come to my place for the tutoring session tomorrow?"

"Um, sure," I reply, taken slightly aback.

"Okay, great. I'll pick you up at 4, by the way, where do you live?"

"Right across from you, I'm surprised you haven't noticed."

"Oh, well, um," she giggles and twiddles her thumbs, "I'll see you there, then." She turns and heads to her car. I go outside and wait in my usual spot between the bench and the tall elm tree. Eventually, I see my ride pull up.

"Hey, Mom," I say, getting myself in, "Can I go over to a friend's house tomorrow after school? My tutee, Blossom, wants us to work there instead of the library."

"We aren't doing anything tomorrow, so, sure," she replies

"Thanks."

I grab my crutches from my room and head towards the front door to put my jacket on. When I open the door, Darin, who is sitting on the couch petting Donut, asks

"Where are you going, Danny?"

"A friend's house," I respond, opening the door.

"Is it a girlfriend?"

"No! Bye Mom, bye Dad, I'll be back at 5!" I turn and close the door behind me, then head across the street to Blossom's house. I knock on the door, and a minute later, a man, who I assume is her Dad, answers.

"Oh, hello," he says, "You must be Daniel. Blossom's told us all about you." She has?

"Yes, um, nice to meet you, Mr. Bright," I reply, as he motions for me to step inside.

"She's just in her room." He points upstairs and down a hallway, so I hop up the stairs. I notice one of the doors is ajar, and peek in to see Blossom. She notices me and stands up to open it more.

"Hey, Daniel," she says, then she turns to the little girl next to her, "Alright, Michelle, I can't play with you anymore." Michelle leaves, looking slightly disappointed.

"Hi there!" she says to me as she walks out. Blossom closes the door behind us and welcomes me in. She has a table set up with a purple bean bag chair next to it. She sits down and I head over to her.

"Oh, you're on crutches today, are your legs healing or something?" she asks.

"No, I just sometimes use my crutches if I'm at home," I reply, trying to sit down as best as I can.

"You know, you never mentioned why you were in a wheelchair, so why are you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Horse accident." Blossom's face changes to a look of half confusion, half shock.

"What?"

"About a year and a half ago, at the county fair, I fell off a horse and injured my spine. It paralyzed me from the waist down." Now Blossom just looks sorry for me.

"Wow." Is all she says.

"Hey, let's get to work."

"Oh, right." We work some problems to practice for a test in pre-calc that's approaching, but Blossom doesn't even really need my help anymore.

"You're doing really well, are you sure you even need a tutor anymore?" I ask.

"Um," she starts, "It's always good to have as much practice as possible." She has a point.

"How about we take a break."

"Sure."

Then I ask her a question, "Hey, I don't see you hanging around that one boy as much anymore, are you guys not good friends anymore?"

"Oh, that's my boyfriend, Mason, things are a little iffy between us right now."

"Oh."

"Our relationship just isn't strong, I thought I would be happy, but I'm not." Blossom leans back in her bean bag. "I've only ever told this to my parents and best friend, but the whole reason I was even in a relationship in the first place, was because I wanted to fit in." How could she not fit in? She knows so many people at school.

"I wanted to be like all the other cheerleaders, as they were all in great relationships. I didn't want to be seen as the cheerleader without a boyfriend, that would be embarrassing. I want to fit the status quo of girls my age, but it's not working out."

After hearing that story, I feel like Blossom's not as different from me as I thought she was, and I feel like we've learned a lot more about each other. We've taken the next step in our friendship.