"I've never met the male, not that it makes any difference, I've got no wolf to cower under the Alpha command. That's why I don't take shit from you." I quipped cheekily, ducking beneath his arm into the main house.

"Yeah," Jack drawled, strolling in after me. "That's why."

There were only a couple of Beta's in the foyer, flicking through files and conversing, when Jack and I arrived. It was still incredibly early, we had to arrive early though considering Jack was hosting the meeting. The fact that these Beta's were already here out of choice was, looking so awake, was unbelievable.

"Right then," he muttered under his breath, shooting me a sideways glance that told me just how much he already hated the day ahead of us. "Let's get things started."

"I'll get the coffee brewing in the kitchen, Mom said she'll be up at eleven with the other cooks to prepare lunch, so I think breaking at twelve-thirty sounds best."

Jack was nodding firmly, adding, "And I'll go set up in the meeting room."

"Alpha Athan!" A booming voiced bellowed from the open doorway before either of us had a chance to move. I cringed at the volume so early in the morning, and then again when I caught who the voice belonged to. Alpha Felix Delaney, Minnesota, one of the oldest of the Alpha's of the seven packs, second only to the Alaska Alpha. He was a far too boisterous man when he wanted to be, and I wasn't at all ready for his big personality at this time of morning.

"Good luck," I offered Jack a fleeting glance before practically running towards the kitchen.

Ten minutes later as I was piling all the cups, milk, sugar and pots of coffee onto two trays when someone else entered the kitchen. The guy was tall, much taller than I was despite being just under six foot, and muscular but lean, unlike some of the other Alpha and Beta's who were positively bulging with muscles. A dark dusting of stubble covered a sharp jawline, giving me the impression he hadn't had a chance to shave within the last few days, matched by his dark unruly hair that probably needed a comb.

"Uh, can I help you?" I asked, not recognising the man in front of me. I assumed he was probably one of the Beta's or Alpha's I had yet to meet.

He paused, narrowing his eyes at me slightly as if I was the one out of place, before grunting out a short, "Coffee." He was still looking me up and down, assessing me. I bet he was from Alaska, I'd heard of how reserved they were up there, how distrusting they were of the other packs. Which wasn't surprising considering how far away they were, completely isolated from the other six packs. No wonder the man seemed grouchy, travelling that far must have been tiring.

"I was just about to take it out." I nodded down awkwardly at the tray on the counter. I didn't make a move to pick it up, not wanting to seem dismissive. Alpha's and Beta's could sometimes get real sensitive if they thought you were disrespecting them. And I definitely didn't know this man well enough to treat him as casually as the other's I was acquainted with.

"Need help?" Not an Alpha then, not prideful enough, he must be a Beta.

"Sure, thanks." I bobbed my head, waiting for him to make the first move. He reached for the heaviest tray.

The meeting room had filled up by the time we entered, Alpha's and Beta's milling around the rows of desks and conversing amongst themselves. Their reaction to our entrance was almost instantaneous, their eyes shooting greedily to the hot pots of coffee being carried in front of me.

I expected the Beta to leave once we had reached the small table in the corner of the room but he stayed beside me, still as silent as before.

"Good to see you again," he uttered to someone behind me as I began unloading the trays. His voice had lowered to a deep timbre, and I turned just in time to see the Minnesota Alpha nod in return. The Alpha's sombre expression quickly brightened however, as his eyes landed on me and recognition shot through them.