Chapter Twenty: Love Confessions

Start from the beginning

Rave's fingers flexed against her skin and a dark mask of anger crossed his features. "What the hell did that bastard do? Did he try to take you again?" he all but growled.

"No, Rave," Ary sighed in exasperation. She was annoyed with him now, and she had no right to be. He was just worried about her.

"Then tell me why Jaden called me in a panic and told me to rush down here. I thought you were dying," he said and his voice sounded strangled, as if he were trying to hold back some emotion.

"It's nothing. It was stupid," she shrugged, glancing down at her feet. It was stupid. Her life hadn't been in danger and it had nothing to do with the Bloodbaths. Why the hell had she bothered Rave with any of this?

"Ary," his voice was soft as he said her name. Gently he took her chin in his hand and tilted her head back so she was forced to look up at him. "Tell me, baby."

"Garrett confronted my dad and told him the truth," Ary sighed out. Her voice sounded mechanical, void of any emotion. It was how she usually protected herself.

"Shit," Rave cursed. "Are you okay?" he asked her.

"Yes. Nothing happened," she practically spat out the words. She just wanted to drop the subject.

"Something clearly did happen," Rave challenged. He wasn't going to let this one go. "What did your dad say about this?"

"He didn't say anything, but the way he looked at me," Ary shook her head as she felt the familiar sting of tears in her eyes. "It was like he hated me." Her lower lip trembled as she spoke.

"Ssh, come here, baby," Rave gathered her into his arms just as another wave of tears hit her. Great. Her body had to practically be drained of water by now.

She cried against Rave's chest until she had nothing left. It wasn't pretty, silent tears either. It was the kind that left her body shaking and had snot dripping from her nose. Rave didn't say anything, though. He just held her, stroking her back, kissing her hair, and whispering sweet nothings in her ear.

"I'm sorry I'm such a mess," she hiccuped, swiping at her tear soaked cheeks as she pushed away from his strong chest. She knew she couldn't look that attractive right now.

"Don't do that," he ordered her.

"Sorry, I'll stop," she said, brushing away at more of her tears. She tried to calm her breathing so she wasn't hiccuping anymore. It was annoying, even to her.

"Not that," he sighed. She gave him a confused look. "Stop shutting me out. You're hurting. This was painful for you and it's painful for me to see you try to push this all back and deal with it all on your own. You're not alone, Ary. You have me." His eyes were swirling with so many unspoken feelings that it made her chest tighten.

"I don't want to lay all my baggage on you," she objected.

"Too late. I've already got your baggage," he grinned at her. She didn't take it as a joke and her face fell. "Hey, now," he moved his hands to push back the hair that fell in her face. "What I'm saying is that I don't care about your baggage. I want you to share these things with me, no matter how stupid you think they are. Okay?" he smiled warmly at her.

"Okay," she nodded her head in agreement.

"And for the record, babe, this is not stupid. Having your family shattered with a secret like this is a big fucking deal. Anyone would be a mess after this," he assured her.

"Leave it to me to screw things up even more," she laughed, without humor.

"This isn't your fault," Rave told her, frowning. "Ary, this is all your mother's doing. She cheated. You are just as much a victim in this as your father is. You were lied to just like he was."