Moving In

KATHERINE

If's Nick's house was an updated country mansion, Matthew lived in a post-modern fantasy. Every window opened from floor to ceiling, letting in light from the expanse of forest blocking the view of any neighbors. Despite the cool, clear cuts that marked the modern space, Matthew had definitely embedded his charismatic personality into the space. Pops of color brightened the otherwise dreary space, from the Venus-fly traps on the kitchen counter to the crimson curtains in the living room and the orange vases scattered around in every corner.

I stayed in the foyer as Matthew led an excited Erland to his room on the second floor. My eyes wandered to the portraits lining the right wall: one of Matthew graduating Alabama State University, then Harvard Law, one of his younger sister at a ballet recital, and one of him and me, sitting on a bench by the lake where our families used to vacation on weekends. My breath caught in my throat.

Matthew's footsteps sounded around the corner.

"It seems your brother is going to be well-entertained by the Xbox I have in the den," he said, chuckling.

I pointed to the picture of us. "You kept it."

Matthew looked at me with a crooked smile. "Of course I did, Kat. I loved going up to the lake with you and Erland. Abigail still talks about how you taught her how to fish."

I blushed. That had been so long ago. The Katherine in the picture was seventeen and awkward, stuttering over every word that came out of her mouth. The Matthew Burgess that was captured in each picture, from the lake to college to law school, grew from a gangly, stumbling teen to a broad-shouldered, well-possessed lawyer.

"Would you like some coffee?" he said, breaking the silence with a charming smile.

I followed him into the kitchen and settled into a barstool at the island while he poured coffee grounds into the filter. He was, outwardly, nothing like my best friend from high school. This Matthew was precise in his movements, his brown eyes glittered with intelligence, but he still had that same all-embracing smile. Whenever he spoke to you, it was as if you were the most important person in the world. Everyone liked him for that. As he started the pot, I was very grateful for this quality of his.

"How has your time in Alabama been, Kat?" He set two mugs next to the coffeemaker and turned to me.

I waved a hand. "Oh, you know," I started, "nothing much but bugs and heat. I don't know how you can stand it."

Matthew cracked a grin. "One learns to live with it. Speaking of, how could you stand living with Masiello?"

"I'll need more than coffee to tell you about that, Matthew."

He poured two mugs of coffee, though he left mine only half-full. I smiled as he set my mug down before me, along with a carton of creamer and about five packets of sugar.

"You remembered how I like it." I picked up a sugar packet.

"How could I forget?" He brought the mug to his lips. "You like more sugar and cream in your coffee than coffee itself. If my memory stands, it's better to let you make it yourself."

"Good choice," I said, dumping in the last sugar packet as my other hand went to the creamer.

"Once there's some coffee in you," he said, serious now, "there are a few things we'll need to talk about concerning your mother and Mr. Howard."

I sighed, feeling a headache beginning to form behind my eyes. "Can't it wait until tomorrow?"

"Not if you're going back to work with Masiello," he said. "I'd rather you go back in as well-informed as you can be."