First Day of Work

NICK

Katherine was moving out tomorrow, so if I wanted to tell her the truth, it would have to be tonight. That way, she can strangle me in my sleep and I won't have to answer to Victoria, who knows how to arrive at the most inopportune moment—and will.

Because staying here was tremendously last minute, Kat had already had a place lined up for the longer duration of her stay. An old good friend of hers, Matthew Burgess, offered her the guest room in his home. Of course, with the addition of Erland, you would think that plans would change, but this guy (a lawyer, go figure) had three guest rooms, two of which resided in his newly-renovated basement.

Honestly, I was a bit jealous.

And guilty.

I could see it in her face, it hurt her to see me. It probably hurt the worse to know I married Victoria, and if Kat was any kind of a bad person, she would happy to see me and Victoria struggle. She isn't, so she wouldn't say it out loud, but I had it coming.

I deserve it.

I asked for it.

Kat didn't ask for this. And now, she deserved the truth.

* * * 

KATHERINE

Wayward Publishing was not what I expected. I knew it was big, but I didn't know it was big. The whole building took up one block in Wayward, which was like a miniature version of New York: gridlocked, no one knows how to drive, and someone's selling hot dogs on every corner. And this place was called "The Heart of Millard County."

If this was the heart, Millard County was a lifeless place indeed.

But I guess now I was just stalling to get in. Nick had wished me luck today but I ignored him.

That morning, I had debated between a pencil skirt or a flowy skirt, and I'm glad I chose the pencil skirt. As I walked through the lobby of the building, I blended in completely with my black skirt, white ruffled blouse, and silver heels. I entered the elevator to the sixth floor and when the doors opened, I walked to the back, where an office plaque read Leya Yang, Commissioning Editor.

A few pairs of eyes bore into my back as I knocked on the door.

"Come in."

I turned the knob and entered the spacious office. Floor-to-ceiling windows lined the wall opposite me, and at the far end of the office sat an older woman, eyes narrowed onto her computer. Leya Yang had all the appearance of a woman caught in the moment of sneezing. Behind her cat-eye glasses sat watery eyes, and her lips were pursed into a tight white line.

"Ms. Yang," I started, taking a step into her office. "I'm Katherine Malloy, the new editorial assistant. I was supposed to start a few weeks ago, but I was delayed with a family emergency."

Ms. Yang looked up at me over her glasses. "Miss Malloy, despite the fact that I'd wish otherwise, I happen to know perfectly well who you are."

I swallowed and decided to feign ignorance. "I don't understand."

Ms. Yang stood, nose twitching. "You have some rather important friends here, Miss Malloy. But though that may be the case, your caseload will not be any easier."

I blanched. Crap. "I don't know what you mean by friends, Ms. Yang, but I am most definitely up to the challenge of working here. Aside from the qualifications on my resume—the same resume that convinced you to hire me—I also happen to have owned a bookstore."

Ms. Yang adjusted her glasses. "Having read a book and knowing what constitutes the creation of a good one are two different things, Ms. Malloy." She sat and turned back to her computer. "Your cubicle is the one next to Grey Falen. There are four manuscripts that I need reports on by the end of the week."