Tomorrow

KATHERINE

The air in the courtroom was freezing, and I found myself wishing I had brought a sweater. I glanced to my right, past Mom and Erland, to catch Betsy's eye. When I rubbed my arms and made a motion of shivering, she shrugged, hands empty, and flashed me a grin as if to apologize.

I huffed and settled back against the hard wood of the bench. Truth was, I was never going to be comfortable. Not until this wretched case was over with.

The days seemed to stretch between Sunday and today, when my grandfather's case was to be laid out before the court. He'd refused to plead guilty, unlike Octavia and Rick, and I wondered if they might come forward today. Matthew wouldn't be trying the case, but a good friend of his, and they had taken care to keep me out of the proceedings as much as possible. By my request, if nothing else.

We sat in the second row. A strategic move on Betsy's part: if Gramps could see me, Erland, and Mom front and center, he might be more likely to let something slip. That was, if he was stupid enough to testify in front of the court. The double reward in our seating choice was that I had no idea who was behind us, and I could only imagine the people from Wayward Publishing or Chase Industries that came out to see the drama unfold.

At last, the lawyer arrived with my grandfather. He looked small and frail in the orange suit of the psychiatric ward. But when he passed, I could still see the cunning glint in his eye. This case wouldn't be over with easily.

The judge came in shortly after and the trial started. Gramps' lawyer came forward and gave an emotional statement to the judge about Gramps' cognitive decline over the past few years. He explained that this was all a misunderstanding, and that Gramps had been manipulated by other individuals involved. Though the lawyer didn't name anyone, I had little doubt he was referring to Rick and Octavia.

The prosecutor came forward next. He was straightforward and sincere with the judge, naming the charges and associates. They started the proceedings with calling in Mr. Richard Chase.

Betsy let out a small gasp when her husband stepped in from the back side of the courtroom, chains dangling from his wrists. He didn't look anywhere but the floor as he was led to the witness stand.

He didn't say anything that was news to me: Gramps had been introduced to him by one of his executives, having been known from a previously sly business deal. They would need his help to get a strategic position in Wayward. This was accomplished by none other than Ms. Octavia Beardsley.

Somehow or other, she'd met Gramps and his business savvy mindset taught her many tools of the trade. She grew in stature and prestige, while he prepared her to step in as CEO of Wayward as soon as the position was available.

How he knew that Nick would step down was never explained. Honestly, if Nick hadn't resigned as CEO, I wouldn't be surprised if Gramps would have forced him to by some false accusation. Maybe Nick choosing his family over his work had been what saved him from a political assault on his character.

At last, Rick's testimony concluded and Octavia was brought forward. No doubt, they had elected to testify in order for reduced sentences. I prayed, if for no one's sake than Betsy's, that Rick would be out of her life for a long time.

She didn't say anything interesting, and I was almost on edge by the time the defense called their first witness: my grandfather himself.

"Good morning, Judge Harvey," he said charismatically, nodding to the judge after he was sworn in. "Good morning, Mr. Harper," he added in much harder tones, now addressing the prosecution's lawyer.