Jesus

KATHERINE

I shared a hot chocolate with Mom until Erland barreled into me and sent the hot liquid to the floor. Matthew produced a mop, and while Erland cleaned, I couldn't help but notice the woman Matthew was talking to. Short, red hair, young. Abigail had mentioned her a few months ago, the last time I'd come to church. The way they talked, heads together, stirred up jealousy in me.

I learned my throat. "Mom, do you mind staying with Erland and Matthew today?"

Mom looked at me, surprised. "I think that's a question for Matthew more than me, sweetheart."

Frowning, I turned back to Matthew and called him over. I couldn't hide the satisfaction that came over me when he immediately broke away from his conversation and came to my side. I repeated my question to him.

"Of course, you can stay, " Matthew said to Mom. "I have a guest bedroom on the first floor you can use." He looked to me. "You can stay too, Kat. There's no need for you or your friend to go to the hotel if I have the room."

Betsy stepped in. "Thanks, Matthew, but Kat and I have some things to discuss."

I excused us, hugging Erland and Mom and saying goodbye to Matthew, and we left for the car. Since the hotel coffee is often terrible, we picked up hot coffee on the way to the hotel. I followed Betsy to the room, furnished with two twin beds. She sank on one bunk, while I perched on the other.

"I have to tell you something," we said together. Then laughed.

"I'll go first," I offered.

So I did. I told her that the buyer of my shares was Rick, that he was two days away now from sealing the deal and taking my half of Wayward. With my heart in my throat, I told her about Rick's affair with Octavia. As I spoke, a flurry of emotions flashed across her porcelain face—confusion, shock, hurt, anger, and devastation.

By the end, I moved to wrap my arms around her, her shoulders trembling from the force of her sobs, soft cries escaping her lips through her fingers.

At last, she pulled back to search my face. "The book?"

I took a breath. "Mine. He stole it somehow. It's being published soon and I don't know how to stop it without..." I trailed off.

I don't know how to stop it without landing him in jail. And Wayward in hot water.

Betsy shook her head, as if reading my mind. "He deserves it, Kat." She broke off, closing her eyes to press down another wave of tears. "I know he does, but I don't want to see him like that."

I remained silent, hugging my friend, relieved for all the world that she didn't hate me, clamping my mouth shut lest I say something that made that change. How could I say that Rick needs to be stopped? That he should pay for his actions? Much more when he hasn't demonstrated one ounce of remorse...

After Betsy has collected her sobs enough to speak more consistently, she turned to me, chin trembling. "Okay," she said. "My turn."

By the time she finished spilling the burden of her heart, she had managed to sit up and I found myself on the other side of the room, hands trembling.

Betrayal. That's the first emotion that registered. Then anger.

"Victoria and you are friends?"

She sniffled, but her face didn't crack, as if she had resolved to see my hatred. "I can't justify it, but maybe I can help you understand—"

"Answer the question," I snapped.