A New Shareholder

KATHERINE

December 1st dawned cold and clear, half the trees bare of their leaves, and a frigid blast of wind tearing over the landscape. I managed November well enough after getting removed from the board, barring Leya's smugness at my demotion and Grey's cold shoulder now that he knew the truth.

I wish I had mentioned something before. But did I really owe Grey anything? Sure, he helped me along in the first few weeks. Told me about Wayward's history. Covered for me when I attended boardroom meetings.

Fine, I guess I did owe him a lot. And the banter of his friendship now gone left me feeling like the bare oaks around Matt's house—frozen and alone in a place I no longer belong.

I woke before dawn, in the gray in-between space, and went downstairs. Started a pot of coffee. Watched the sunrise on the horizon turn the sky pale pink, then rose, turning a brilliant orange by the time Matthew made it down the stairs.

He wore a button-down shirt, blazer flung across one arm, tie draped over his shoulders. His dark brown hair was still wet from the shower, and I teased him that he would catch a cold if he wasn't careful.

"Good thing I don't go in until later," he quipped, flashing a smile.

I placed a cup of coffee in front of him. "What about Hattie? Is she over the flu yet?"

"No." He sipped from his mug, looking thoughtful. "Actually, she may not be coming back. Her niece is trying to convince her to go back to Arizona, where the weather is better for her."

I grimaced in sympathy. "She has been getting sick a lot lately, hasn't she?"

Matthew nodded, then shrugged. "I'll need someone to take over as my secretary soon enough. Can you pass me a blueberry muffin?"

I passed him the tray beside me, hiding my excitement as best I could. A new job. Would Matthew consider me for the position? It would get me out of Wayward, out of the hostile glances or pitying stares of those who knew the truth. Richard hadn't exactly been quiet about his new position.

Maybe working with Matthew could get me more information about copyright law and my manuscript.

Before I could voice my thoughts, Erland bounded down the stairs. "Two weeks left of school!" He grabbed his backpack from the couch and flew past the kitchen. "Come on, Matt, let's go!"

Matt and I shared a look. "He's definitely excited to go to school," I said.

Of course he is. Two weeks would be winter break. Then, we should be back in Pennsylvania by mid-January. But why did the thought make me feel a tinge of regret?

"More like he's excited to see someone." Matt grinned and picked up the keys.

Not surprising, considering how Erland had been compelled to go to every service to see a certain musician. He and Bella seemed to be getting along, even taking leading roles in the Christmas play. Matthew and Erland had decided to keep the whole play under wraps, more excited to surprise me in a few weeks for the performance.

I heard them argue playfully in the foyer over Erland getting to practice for his learner's permit, before the door shut behind them.

I showered and got dressed, then paused in front of the closet. My suitcase still sat in the corner, with the manuscript and printed copies of my emails to Shane from five years ago. Grey hadn't told me any more of where Starlight Crows was in publishing, but I imagined it was getting close to being finished.

I debated about calling Betsy and telling her about it—after all, she was the one who first noticed what happened—but what could she do now? Worse, I didn't trust myself not to tell her about my suspicions with Rick and Octavia. If I opened my mouth and it wasn't true, how would it come back to me? I needed to be sure.